32 Bit XP Pro In-Place Upgrade to 64 Bit Vista

Hi all,

I can't find the answer to this one. I am running XP Pro 32 Bit on one
partition. I have the 64 Bit Vista Ultimate (RC1) on another partition. when
I installed this I had to boot from the DVD as XP wouldn't allow me to run
the 64 bit install from within XP.

When the Vista final comes out at the end of the month ideally I would like
to retain my existing programme structure (my wife will go ballistic if I
have to reinstall SIMS 2 and all the packs!!!!) so obviously the in-place
upgrade is the way to go. But will this be possible with the final release ie
to migrate from 32 bit computing to 64 bit whilst retaining my existing
programme structure?

Not holding my breath on this but I suspect it could affect quite a few folk
who have 64 bit processors but never previously run a 64 bit OS.

Cheers

Rick Rogers

Hi,

Sadly no, there is no upgrade path from 32-bit to 64-bit. The architecture
is too different.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Stu

Unless you have 64 bit applications and need to run with more than 4gb of
memory, there is not much point in using Vista 64bit.. you would be better
advised to stay with 32bit Vista..

Colin Barnhorst

The rule is: A 32bit Windows user CAN use a upgrade edition to "upgrade"
(which I prefer to call "migrate") to 64bit Vista. A full edition is not
required. This only came to light in the past couple of weeks.

While upgrading-in-place 32bit Windows to 64bit Vista is not supported,
using an upgrade edition product key to do a custom install of 64bit Vista
on a computer running 32bit Windows is. A full edition of Vista x64 is not
required.

Darrel Gorter performed some experiments at our request earlier this month
and reported that when you boot with the x64 dvd and enter an upgrade
edition product key you are NOT prompted to run from the legacy desktop like
you are with the x86 dvd. Installation of Vista x64 proceeds to completion
even though you have booted with the dvd and entered an upgrade edition pk.

The problem is that the initial reports in December from Darrel Gorter and
Carey Frisch that all upgrade editions had to run from from the desktop
turned out to be incomplete. Only Vista x86 upgrade editions require
running from a legacy desktop.

XP Pro x64 is the one case where the user has the option to perform a
migration to Vista x64 by running from the desktop or booting with the x64
dvd since Vista x64 Setup will run on XP Pro x64. A custom installation is
still required but the method used is at the convenience of the user.

It is unfortunate that our first information was incomplete and that the
impression has been created that you can only migrate from x86 Windows to
x64 Vista with a full edition product key. It turns out be completely
untrue.

Colin Barnhorst

As you already know, you will not be able to do an in-place-upgrade with
either the full or upgrade editions of Vista x64. You can only do a custom
install. You CAN use a Vista x64 upgrade edition (meaning that you will not
be required to purchase a full edition as once was thought) but you will
still have to reinstall your apps and customize your folder structure all
over again. As you indicated, you will not be able to run Vista x64 setup
from your present desktop. However, you can run Vista x64 upgrade edition
Setup by booting with the x64 dvd. Unfortunately, the upgrade option will
be disabled.

Use the Vista Windows Easy Transfer wizard to save your files and settings
from your old OS and restore them after installing Vista x64. Then
reinstall your programs. WET supports transfers from 32bit XP to 64bit
Vista nicely.

I know this is not what you want to hear. Sorry.

SoCalFred

Colin,
Since you now appear to be the most knowledgeable person monitoring the
Newsgroup on this issue. I have two questions.
1. If a user has recently purchased a 64bit system running XP for which the
vendor is making available a free upgrade to Vista does your last post mean
that he will have to do a totally clean install instead of being able to do
an iinplace install?
2. Will the new Vista WET application support the transfer of all files and
registry entries created by 3rd party applications in addition to those
installed by MS applications such as Office etc.

Colin Barnhorst

No. The discussion was on the point of migrating from 32bit Windows to
64bit Windows and the differences between what an x86 and x64 dvd allows you
to do.

If you purchase a computer with a 32bit edition of XP on it you will not get
an Express Upgrade coupon that entitles you to a 64bit version of Vista.
You will get the corresponding 32bit edition of Vista and that will not
require using the custom install method, much less a clean install.

A "totally clean install" sounds like you mean a reformat before
installation. That would not be required and in fact will not be possible.

In the case you cite, the manufacturer is not going to supply an Express
Upgrade that requires a clean install with the possible exception of XP Pro
x64 to Vista Business (or Ultimate) x64.

WET supports all the file types you mention and their settings. Anything
that you think of as data is captured by the WET wizard. See:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/features/forhome/easytransfer.mspx.

Did I understand your question?