2GB problems

Zeno

Hi all, i am trying to add 2GB of Ram to my computer, at the moment i
have 1.5GB of memory but when i try to add another 512mb of ram my
computer goes haywire, it doesnt boot into windows, it shows the BSOD
quite frequently while trying to boot windows XP. I have tried to
position the RAM into different slots, i have used different ram chips
in case 1 of the ones i was trying to use was faulty, i have tried
changing the memory timings, but still nothing. I have read my
motherboard manual and it says that my motherboard can handle up to 3GB
of memory so this problem has me stumpped.

Here is my pc spec

Windows XP Pro (service pack 2)
AMD Athlon 2800+ Processor
1.5GB of Novatech Branded Ram
KT6 Delta Motherboard
Nvidia Geforce 6800GT

maybe one of you guys here may have had the problem before and know how
to fix it, thx for any help given.

Zeno

Chuck said:
It may be that the motherboard is defective.
"Zeno" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

[...]

Its a possibility i suppose but it there anything else i can do to try
and get it working if it isnt defective ?

Kp

If the system was running stable before you add the RAM the first thing
that I would do is take out the 1.5GB that you have in there that you
know is working and run the 512 on its own. If it is ok then it could
be chip incompatibility between the 3 dimms. It could also be a timing
issue between the 3 dimms check the cache latency or CL rating. Are all
the DIMMS the same speed i.e. all 400 or 333 whilst this should not
cause a problem as rule, it is possible. If when you install the DIMM
on its own the system plays up then it is either, a faulty module or
the board can not address the RAM (could be a DRAM configuration that
the board does not like). I would try it on its own then see what
happens. Give novatech Tech Support a call in case they know of any
issues. Lastly check yr mobo manual and see what DRAM configurations
have been approved.

HTH

Kp

Zeno

i have tried the memory on its own and it works fine, and its exactly
the same type of memory as the other 1024 mb stick and the 512mb stick
thats allready in there, they were all purchased at the same shop and
are all the same brand. they are identical in every way apart from one
of the sticks are 1024 and other 2 are 512mb. i check the motherboard
manual and i have followed all instructions that are given, maybe its
just 1 of them things that cannot be fixed....

Admiral Q

You could always boot with your WinXP and try a repair install on the XP
installation. Sometimes (I've had it happen to me before) when adding
additional memory it will blue screen with all, but if you use any
combination that is equal too or less than the memory you had installed, it
boots fine. Just a thought, the most you'll have to do is reinstall any
Service Packs and/or fixes since the CD was created. Be sure to backup
important files first, just in case something really goes amuck and you have
to reinstall from scratch.

Zeno

Theres always one that says this on every forum, you think i havent
tried that ?

"Google is your friend" thats so cheesy every arogant person posts
that. keep it to yourself next time my friend.....