22" Monitor decisions!

Reaction score
Hi guys, getting the RAM + PSU tomorrow, last but not least, monitor time!

I'm very close to purchasing this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-045-LG

Excellent reviews, looks super cool, and a very appealing price for what it is.

Just wondering what your thoughts were on it, or if you have something better to recommend for roughly the same price range and 22" of course.

I'll mainly be playing games and watching movies so ...

Also just wondering what the contrast ratio is, this one says 3000:1 then there is another one that says 700:1 so which is better, the higher/lower the number? :)

Thanks.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
That's a cracking monitor, have been contemplating getting a widescreen 22" for sometime myself.

My current monitor is a 2ms Viewsonic VX922 and i never get any ghosting at all, so the 2ms on that will be all good.

Just be aware your system wont be able to run games at that res in full detail.

I'd go for that over any other including the Sammy 22BW as the samsung is more money and you have to deal with the 'panel lottery' (There are two or three versions that are all slightly different and apparently tow versions are not as good as one of them, no i dont know why, that put me off enough to not read anymore.)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got the LG, and I love it :) Can't fault it at all :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You can still get it, when you upgrade you will be able to see the benifits more so.

You will need a decent vid card to run at 1680x1050 res is what i mean. Can you run games at native res on your current monitor with all the eye candy on atm?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
dont let thr resoulution keep you from buy a 22" monitor. The freedom they grant you is ..uh.. gratifying. Its hard to go back to a smaller screen, almost claustraphobic.

what games you playing belloni?

Reaction score
Yeah might order tomorrow for friday so i have all weekend to play around :p

Is my card not decent, i thought it was the best for AGP available atm? :)

Atm it's fine on CS/Bioshock on full settings and such.

Thing is i havn't got the latest drivers as said before, but that's due to lack of PSU power me thinks so will update you tomorrow if the new PSU helps or not.

Think i'll just go with it.

Alf: Playing CS:Source/Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, will be buying bioshock shortley me thinks, and i can't wait for Crysis :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
It should be good, Its just that there will be more pixels on screen than with you old monitor, more work for the card, simple as that..

You may have to turn down a few settings a little, only one way to find out. ;)

When your not gaming, you will not notice anything.

Reaction score
Yeah thought so, you scared me abit as i really wanted it! :p

Think i'll leave it over the weekend though to not rush it, still got the psu and ram to play with ;)

Thanks though hehe

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Counter- strike plays nicely on my computer, which is speced similar to yours. is nice having a widescreen, you wont be dissapointed

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I run me new 24" at 1024 x 768 for surfing and stuff and it looks just fine to me . Play the original Tomb Raider at that setting and it looks good I'm playing it at 1600 x 1200 now though . Play Call Of Duty at 1600 x 1200 with nearly everything on max settings and that looks good too . All of that on a Radeon 9800 SE 128MB . So you can run stuff on a big monitor without a superdooper pc . You'll just love the view if you get that screen your after . Funnily enough you'll find that your pc seems to be vastly improved when you add a big screen to your system . It must be one of those strange twilight zone twists that affect the electric curents feedind the mobo and cpu . I'll swear blind my pc never ran as well before .

laughingsmiley.gif
(insane laughter)
laughingsmiley.gif
happywave.gif

Reaction score
Good to hear, will most likely order it on sunday :)

Indeed i guess it would, i can't wait for the colours to jump out at me, aswell as the look of games on a massive screen!

My friend has a 22" but his is a very poor HP one, the colours are dull and such but i just love the size!

Can't wait to watch some good movies on it too.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Shooting your enemy or hacking them to bits will never be the same again .
laughingsmiley.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Your missing my point, Maybe i didn't explain myself before......Let me try again.

You may not be able to play the newer games at full graphics settings at native res. (1680x1050)

CS:S, CoD etc are what, four, five years old now? See CoD's recommended systems requirements... (600 MHz CPU, 128 MB RAM, 1.4 GB Hard disk space, 32 MB GPU) Of course you can run it at max! :rolleyes:

Belloni said:
Playing CS:Source/Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, will be buying bioshock shortly me thinks, and i can't wait for Crysis :)
The games he's quoting are way more advanced than call of duty, tomb raider CS:S!
Abarbarian said:
I run me new 24" at 1024 x 768 for surfing and stuff and it looks just fine to me
So your running your big expensive high res 16:9 monitor at relatively low res at 4:3 resolution for internet usage!? Why?? :confused:

I'm not tryin to put you off Belloni, just explaining the facts. :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
True, i cant run bioshock at 1650x1200 without studdering. But for %100 of my other games, no prob!
...your an odd duck Abarb :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
V_R said:
Your missing my point, Maybe i didn't explain myself before......Let me try again.

You may not be able to play the newer games at full graphics settings at native res. (1680x1050)

CS:S, CoD etc are what, four, five years old now? See CoD's recommended systems requirements... (600 MHz CPU, 128 MB RAM, 1.4 GB Hard disk space, 32 MB GPU) Of course you can run it at max! :rolleyes:

The games he's quoting are way more advanced than call of duty, tomb raider CS:S!
So your running your big expensive high res 16:9 monitor at relatively low res at 4:3 resolution for internet usage!? Why?? :confused:

I'm not tryin to put you off Belloni, just explaining the facts. :)

Realise that my out of the arc games don't need as good pc specs but boy do they look good on a big screen . Also realise that Belloni will need to upgrade his pc to play todays games at max but his system is well capable of some pretty pretty games playing . I may be confused here but I thought he was playing Bioshock at max already or is that an expansion pack or sequal to a different game he mentioned earlier in the thread ? As you can tell i don't have a lot of experience in games and their history . I just enjoy what comes my way as I'm pretty busy with playing life .
I tried out different resolutions on me big screen and went for 1024 x 768 as it gives me the best readability and look for where I am sitting at the moment and I did not have to change icon size or font size . So it was a question of the easy quick way as opposed to fiddling and faffing with even more info and settings . Only had the monitor for a few weeks so it will take me a while to figure out all the stuff it can do . Only just figured out that its better to use the DIV cable rather than the Vga one .

:D

Only posted to give the man some encouragement to upgrade . Aftere all hes moving on from basic hack and slash to high tech fast moving slaughter and hes going to need some stylish and sophisticated equipment to gain maximum enjoyment .

laughingsmiley.gif
happywave.gif

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Bioshock is a stand alone game, he dont have it yet

Ask a Question