8800GTX or GTS (640MB)? Help me choose!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well as its me birthday and i got a nice bonus in march, i decided i am gonna get an 88 or some flavour or another. Question is which one. I know of the obvious memory differences but i have more to consider than just that....Like size my 7900GOT is 23cm long and the GTS is only 24cm. (See pic.)

8800GTX 768MB.

Pros
Brute power.
Kudos of saying i got an '88GTX!

Cons
Price
Size (At 28cm it dont fit in my case without some work or moving all the HDD's.)
Uses two PCIE connections.

8800GTS 640MB

Pros
Price £100ish less
It fits! (only 24cm)
Only need one PCIE connection

Cons
Less powerful. (Only about 20%. Or so i have read, this true?)
Ummm....

Funny, when i was thinking about it last night, i thought i had more pros and cons for both...

I will be getting a new PSU as i dont think the Tagan 480w will hack it. So powers not a problem. I am thinking of something like the OCZ GameXstream 700w or Corsair 620w both about 100 quid, Only difference is the Corsair is modular. But still up for debate as to which one, maybe something different, as i would like a modular one this time.

So some on lets hear what you have to say, would i notice a difference between them do you think?

Cheers.

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_0590.jpg
    Copy of IMG_0590.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 135

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
if you got the spare change, why not get the GTX?
but if you dont mind sacrificing a little performance,, you can save a good bit of cash by going with the GTS.
and i have seen the GTX's, those things are HUGE and it surprised me that they suck up 2 PCI-Es.
why not get a GTS and use the money saved to by something to complement it? uhhh.... how much will you have left if you go with the GTS? :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well after doing somemore reading i may hold off fora bit as the 8900's are on the way along with the new R600 ATI's. That should make for the 88's see a little price drop.....

While i could hang on and get a new case and PSU.....hmmm....

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what the r600 turns out like. It had better be good with all the delays and stuff.

Did you know its going to have a built in sound card? Wierd.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This is the one I have, currently selling for £269.00 inc postage from ocuk.

The BFG 8800 GTX costs £396 inc postage so that's a saving of £127.00.

£127.00 would buy you a nice PSU.

I actually have a 700W modular Jeantech PSU (see my sig) not my usual first choice but I needed one in a hurry so popped down to PC World and paid about £85.00 for it. It's well built and works fine.

Obviously the GTX card is a better choice but is it worth the money?

Possibly, it's a hard choice. Personally I baulk at paying nearly four hundred quid just for a video card but that's the market I'm afraid.

As for waiting for a new card to come out, if you play the waiting game, you'll always be waiting for the next great thing to come out. With computers and computer components when you buy the latest you'll be lucky if it's top of the tree for three months.

And you really want better graphics right now don't you? :D

I have the GTS and all my games run flawlessly.

I have Oblivion Elder Scrolls Four maxed out and it looks gorgeous :)

So there you go, food for thought ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You do speak wise words Flops, I must admit the more i ponder it the more i think the GTS is the better choice due to the size, lower power requirements and the price. It also seems the difference performance wise isn't a great deal tbh. So it seems that is the logical option.

I've been looking on eBay and i see my card going for £100+ so if i can get that or there abouts for it, then that's a bonus too.

I am gonna get the Corsair HX 620w psu from OCUK (£100), as it gets the best reviews everywhere. Stable as anything. :thumb:

As for waiting for a new card to come out, if you play the waiting game, you'll always be waiting for the next great thing to come out. With computers and computer components when you buy the latest you'll be lucky if it's top of the tree for three months.
How true.

And you really want better graphics right now don't you?:D
nod.gif

Ask a Question