1nteger's freebies

Reaction score
One of the best things about this forum is the way threads shift and change into discussions about important things...and I'm always encouraged by the thoughtfulness of the posters.

I agree that the choice of charity is important. I personally would donate to The MacMillan Nurses in the UK who do so muchfor cancer patients (My Dad died from cancer a few years ago and they were absolutely amazing). I don't see any advertising for them...they just get on with it, and they're one of the few organisations that I would gladly give directly to the people involved and say: 'here, go and buy yourself a drink on me...because you do such a great job and i want you to get some relief from your underpaid, hard, sometimes disgusting and often thankless work'.

But this is a web community and that means international, so i agree that any charity contributions should be carefully considered.

So here's my idea:

I will do as i said before and send spare kit free to those who frequently contribute to the forum and give us all the best justification for getting the goods. Then, it is for that individual to make a contribution (or not) to a charity of their choice of any amount they wish.

The contributions can be reported back to the forum or kept private...it's up to the individual...I don't think we should be in the business of creating 'guilt trips' here.

If someone wants to pay me for any specific items, then I will pass ALL the money on to the MacMillan Nurses.

In this way, perhaps we can share stuff, help each other out with that essential item or two, and help some good causes that meet a range of local needs.

BUT NOTE: No one should feel pressurised to pay or contribute anything - certainly not for my spare kit. It'll probably blow your PC up...then how would you feel?;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Me, I'm a Scot ... NO! we are not 'tight' but thrifty. ;)

At risk of ridicule I'll admit here and now I have only ever given any money to one group ... MacMillan Nurses.

I too had the misfortune of having a Farther die of cancer, the MacMillan Nurses were a Godsend to my Dad & to Mum ... we later had to transfer Dad to the local Hospice here in Southport, the MacMillan Nurses continued to 'visit' Dad.

1nt', I like your suggestion ... :thumb:

gabriella ... thank you. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
not sure if your joking here?

christopherpostill said:
What about the RSPCA :) ;)
Sorry, not for me ... I see on the TV (not mine I don't have one) that you can help a dog for £4 a month ... but for the NSPCC it's £2 for a child.

:confused:

Well something like that ... :rolleyes:

Ask a Question