1394a issues

Reaction score
I recently bought and installed a NEC Firewire IEEE 1394a card onto my computer for video capturing editing etc... The problem I'm having is when I hook up the camcorder to the DV cable and attempt playback, it's all scrambled on both the camcorder and the computer. I've tried everything as far as looking for info on the web but there just isn't anything or I just am not finding the right sights for my problem. It seemed that all the drivers and the camcorder setup were installed just fine but like a said, the playback is scrambled up and there are a lot of little boxes all over the screen. You can see some picture but it is not very good quality. I noticed on the card itself that it is capable of receiving 100/200/400mbps and was wondering if this is an automatic setting or do I need to pick which one of these transfer rates to operate at?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. My OS is XP. My camcorder is a Canon ZR80. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Have you a installation CD with the Canon ZR80Yes you have to configure the mbps.

Reaction score
Nero Vision express and I also tried the windows movie maker with the same scrambled video. I just went to bestbuy and bought a different brand card this ones adaptec and still the same results. I dont have any idea why its not working right. Went to Canon.com for ZR80 drivers but it said they are not necessary because windows recognizes it or something like that. Have any of you ever had this problem??

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
my sony camcorder has built in drivers or something so windows can recognise it so yours could be the same. is the cable your using to connect it to your PC one you bought seperatly or did it come with the camera ? also have the drivers for the firewire card installed correctly ?

check by right clicking my computer > properties > hardware tab > device manager > network adapters

when you say its scrambled on the camera is this when reviewing what you have taken on a tv or using the built in screen ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
The device manager says that its woking properly, The DV cable is just a 6-4 Firewire cable which I bought seperatly at a store, and the scrambled picture is when I am trying to capture from my camcorder onto my computer both the camcorders screen and the playback screen on the computer are scrambled.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Do you have latest ASPI drivers installed, as Win XP doesn't include these.

It may be the cause of the problem, maybe not, but it wouldn't hurt to install them.

Download is Here

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
OK, what are your computer specs? Video card? Latest video card drivers installed? All motherboard updates applied? Latest BIOS? All latest Microsoft updates/patches applied? Including Service pack 2?

We need to know what your computer is. Particularly the processor speed, memory and video card.

Also, what software are you using to capture? Has that software been patched to latest? Have you checked options for primary video capture device?

Sorry for all the questions, but they need to be addressed if we're to find a solution here.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Or, of course, you could just give up, then you won't be going nuts anymore...... ;)

Ask a Question