xxcopy etc. query.

John Fitzsimons

Some time ago I wanted to clone files on a computer overseas to a
directory here. I used ftp but it wasn't totally successful.

If I had been able to somehow make the IP address a drive letter
(accessable in a DOS box) then I could have used xxcopy. Can this be
done ?

Has anyone here been able to use xxcopy to clone copy all the files
from a computer somewhere else on the internet to a local computer ?
If so then how did you do it please ?

Regards, John.

burris

John said:
Some time ago I wanted to clone files on a computer overseas to a
directory here. I used ftp but it wasn't totally successful.

If I had been able to somehow make the IP address a drive letter
(accessable in a DOS box) then I could have used xxcopy. Can this be
done ?

Has anyone here been able to use xxcopy to clone copy all the files
from a computer somewhere else on the internet to a local computer ?
If so then how did you do it please ?

Regards, John.
I don't believe that the freeware version will operate over networks.

Go to the site http://www.xxcopy.com and read the FAQ.

burris

derek / nul

Some time ago I wanted to clone files on a computer overseas to a
directory here. I used ftp but it wasn't totally successful.

If I had been able to somehow make the IP address a drive letter
(accessable in a DOS box) then I could have used xxcopy. Can this be
done ?

Has anyone here been able to use xxcopy to clone copy all the files
from a computer somewhere else on the internet to a local computer ?
If so then how did you do it please ?

I use robocopy with url's.
Robocopy is a Microsoft written utility.

Derek

John Fitzsimons

John Fitzsimons wrote:
I don't believe that the freeware version will operate over networks.
Go to the site http://www.xxcopy.com and read the FAQ.

Thanks, but because a program isn't designed to do something it
doesn't follow that there aren't "work arounds". Besides, I still
wanted to know whether an IP address could somehow be assigned
a drive letter.

Lastly, as many people here use xxcopy IF the above was possible in
the payware version then it would have been handy to know that.
Particularly if anyone here had done this exercise.

Regards, John.

Anonymous

|Some time ago I wanted to clone files on a computer overseas to a
|directory here. I used ftp but it wasn't totally successful.
|
|If I had been able to somehow make the IP address a drive letter
|(accessable in a DOS box) then I could have used xxcopy. Can this be
|done ?
|
|Has anyone here been able to use xxcopy to clone copy all the files
|from a computer somewhere else on the internet to a local computer ?
|If so then how did you do it please ?

No direct answer to your question. Isn't that how places like
http://www.xdrive.com/ do it?

If you are just looking to move files from one computer to
another there are things that you can do.

P2P: Put the files on a P2P network. You can set it up to share
the directory you want. You can encrypt the files so that only
the person you want can open them. Or you can use something like
Waste http://sourceforge.net/projects/waste
FTP: Set up an FTP server and send the files that way.
VNC: Use a program like Real VNC
Web Server: Set up a small web server and allow the other person
to download from your computer.
Messenger: Use an instand messenger to send the files.
Newsgroups: Enrypt the files and upload them to a binaries
newsgroup so that the other person can download them.

If you have several smaller files (pictures, text, etc) you can
either zip them into one file, or you can those ones through
instant messenger/email and use ftp for the larger files. Set up
an ftp client to download the bigger files while you are
sleeping. Use a combination of ways to send the files.

-=-

John Fitzsimons

|Some time ago I wanted to clone files on a computer overseas to a
|directory here. I used ftp but it wasn't totally successful.
|If I had been able to somehow make the IP address a drive letter
|(accessable in a DOS box) then I could have used xxcopy. Can this be
|done ?
|Has anyone here been able to use xxcopy to clone copy all the files
|from a computer somewhere else on the internet to a local computer ?
|If so then how did you do it please ?
No direct answer to your question. Isn't that how places like
http://www.xdrive.com/ do it?

No idea. It appears however that more than 500MB needs payment. That
isn't what I want.
If you are just looking to move files from one computer to
another there are things that you can do.
P2P: Put the files on a P2P network. You can set it up to share
the directory you want. You can encrypt the files so that only
the person you want can open them. Or you can use something like
Waste http://sourceforge.net/projects/waste
FTP: Set up an FTP server and send the files that way.

Like I said above. I did the previous job by ftp.
Newsgroups: Enrypt the files and upload them to a binaries
newsgroup so that the other person can download them.
If you have several smaller files (pictures, text, etc) you can
either zip them into one file, or you can those ones through
instant messenger/email and use ftp for the larger files. Set up
an ftp client to download the bigger files while you are
sleeping. Use a combination of ways to send the files.

All those methods might be fine for a small number of files but I am
talking about cloning a whole computer worth. Which might easily
be > 500MB.

Secondly, I am not sure of whether/how the issues raised at ;

http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy02.htm

and

http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy03.htm

apply to ftp transfers from a remote computer.

Thirdly, when I did the above exercise previously with a 28k
connection at the other end, it took days. The person at the other
end wanted to use her system at times so it was very difficult
(impossible) to get both systems "in synch". That sort of thing is
very simple if using xxcopy and two local drives.

Regards, John.

Anonymous

(snip)
|Thirdly, when I did the above exercise previously with a 28k
|connection at the other end, it took days. The person at the other
|end wanted to use her system at times so it was very difficult
|(impossible) to get both systems "in synch". That sort of thing is
|very simple if using xxcopy and two local drives.

I don't see how it is going to be any faster using xxcopy on a
remote computer. You are still moving the 500mb of data using
that 28kb connection. It's going to take days no matter how you
do it.

Quickest way would to be have the other person get a CD burner,
burn the files and send them snail mail to you.

-=-

Kan Yabumoto

John Fitzsimons said:
Some time ago I wanted to clone files on a computer overseas to a
directory here. I used ftp but it wasn't totally successful.

If I had been able to somehow make the IP address a drive letter
(accessable in a DOS box) then I could have used xxcopy. Can this be
done ?

Has anyone here been able to use xxcopy to clone copy all the files
from a computer somewhere else on the internet to a local computer ?
If so then how did you do it please ?

Regards, John.

John:

I think what you need is a VPN setup. Although I'm not
an expert in the VPN, it seems to be what you need to transofrm
the remote computer (as a VPN server) and the current computer
(as a VPN client). If you have Win 2000 Server or Win XP-Pro
you can probably setup a server out of an ordinary XP-Pro machine.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/vpns.asp

Once you have the VPN setup, you can use XXCOPY with a command line like:

xxcopy \\vpn_server_name\resource\Windows\ c:\backup\ /clone

Disclaimer: I have not tried this nor read the article completely.
This is just my hunch that what's in the article might be of help.
I'm hoping someone with more knowledge in networking, VPN in particular
can tell us more about this technique.

Kan Yabumoto

John Fitzsimons

(snip)
|Thirdly, when I did the above exercise previously with a 28k
|connection at the other end, it took days. The person at the other
|end wanted to use her system at times so it was very difficult
|(impossible) to get both systems "in synch". That sort of thing is
|very simple if using xxcopy and two local drives.
I don't see how it is going to be any faster using xxcopy on a
remote computer.

It isn't going to be faster during the primary transfer BUT when 98%
of the data is the same on both computers xxcopy can check everything
to only change/update the 2% not "in synch".

AFAIK there are few ftp programs that will check source/destination
disks and only update added/deleted/changed files.

Come to think of it. Which ftp programs will do that ? Anyone ?
You are still moving the 500mb of data using
that 28kb connection. It's going to take days no matter how you
do it.

Correct, but at some stage I was wanting both systems to be an exact
data mirror of each other.
Quickest way would to be have the other person get a CD burner,
burn the files and send them snail mail to you.

I agree, but in this case she didn't have a CD burner and didn't have
the money to buy one.

Regards, John.

John Fitzsimons

John Fitzsimons <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

Hi Kan,
I think what you need is a VPN setup. Although I'm not
an expert in the VPN, it seems to be what you need to transofrm
the remote computer (as a VPN server) and the current computer
(as a VPN client).

Okay, thanks. I have no knowledge/experience of VPN but at least I now
know something to investigate.
If you have Win 2000 Server or Win XP-Pro
you can probably setup a server out of an ordinary XP-Pro machine.

Once you have the VPN setup, you can use XXCOPY with a command line like:
xxcopy \\vpn_server_name\resource\Windows\ c:\backup\ /clone

Thanks. That looks very good BUT the problem is that in the situation
I had previously my system was '98 and hers was NT.
Disclaimer: I have not tried this nor read the article completely.
This is just my hunch that what's in the article might be of help.
I'm hoping someone with more knowledge in networking, VPN in particular
can tell us more about this technique.

So do I. Perhaps you could consider a new program called
"ftp xxcopy" ? :)

With a command line like ;

xxcopy \\http://www.xxcopy.com\resource\Windows\ c:\backup\ /clone

or

xxcopy \\66.246.77.100\resource\Windows\ c:\backup\ /clone

One can "map" a folder to a disk name like H:\ but apparently not
an IP address. Rather a pity. :-( If it could be done then the above
would be easy.

I know the payware xxcopy apparently does (internal) network
connections but I was pretty sure it wouldn't do the above. If it did
then I would be more than happy to pay you as you have already
designed a superb utility and anything better would certainly be worth
the cost.

Thanks again for your input. :)

Regards, John.

Anonymous

|It isn't going to be faster during the primary transfer BUT when 98%
|of the data is the same on both computers xxcopy can check everything
|to only change/update the 2% not "in synch".

Ah I understand now.

|AFAIK there are few ftp programs that will check source/destination
|disks and only update added/deleted/changed files.
|
|Come to think of it. Which ftp programs will do that ? Anyone ?

Some that you might want to take a look at.

vuBrief
vuBrief is an advanced file and directories synchronization
utility,
capable of performing following tasks:

Transfer and synchronization of files between directories within
one
computer. Files synchronization between remote computers with
and without
networks. Files synchronization between local directory and FTP
directory
Backup archiving of files and directories
http://www.vu-brief.spb.ru/eng/index.htm

TreeComp
http://www.xs4all.nl/~lploeger/TreeComp3.htm

-=-

Kan Yabumoto

John Fitzsimons said:
On 27 Mar 2004 01:47:41 -0800, (e-mail address removed) (Kan Yabumoto) wrote:
So do I. Perhaps you could consider a new program called
"ftp xxcopy" ? :)

With a command line like ;

xxcopy \\http://www.xxcopy.com\resource\Windows\ c:\backup\ /clone

NO. XXCOPY will never be designed to be like that. Remember,
we try to keep XXCOPY's focus on file I/O. Not an Internet browser
(that's a big job and even if it were small, it's outside the
scope of XXCOPY). XXCOPY does not even know how to access the USB-disk.
You have to make the system transform the USB-disk to behave like
an ordinary disk (which the XP environment does and we all
enjoy the convenience --- contrast this to the fact the native
DOS does not and as a consequence, XXCOPY16 has no way of accessing an
external USB-disk unless the DOS environment recognizes it). XXCOPY
does not know how to directly access CD-ROM. But, thanks to the
MSCDEX (remember this on DOS 5 and newer) and Win9X/NT system which
provides the built-in CDFS (to transform a CD-ROM volume as
a read-only file system). Still, XXCOPY cannot write to CD-RW
but if you install a packet-writing tool which makes a CD-RW volume
behave like a hard disk, you can do it. It is best that XXCOPY
remain device-independent.

Even though we keep adding features into XXCOPY like a fiend, we draw
a clear line based on a widely accepted concept: "division of labor".
So do I. Perhaps you could consider a new program called
"ftp xxcopy" ? :)

There is a big market out there. Someone (not me) should write a
program that creates a file system which transforms an FTP server
to a virtual disk volume (I thought I've seen such a program once
but I can't locate it). It should be a general purpose file system
so that not only XXCOPY but all other programs can take advantage
of it (It would be much easier to put such a functionality within
XXCOPY. But again, that's against XXCOPY's design philosophy ---
such a feature belongs to the more universal level).
xxcopy \\66.246.77.100\resource\Windows\ c:\backup\ /clone

One can "map" a folder to a disk name like H:\ but apparently
not an IP address.

XXCOPY supports the above feature (that you access remote computer
using the raw IP address). As a matter of fact, I always suggests
not to use the drive letter mapping (by using the NET USE command).
As far as I'm concerned, this technique is a NetWare legacy and
the drive-letter mapping will add one (unnecessary) layer in
accessing the remote volume (still, a useful technique with
legacy programs which cannot deal with LFN nor \\server-name\
syntax). If the above does not work, then, the environment where
XXCOPY is run is to blame. This is why I'm saying the access
features should be provided in the system level rather than inside
each application.

Just try on your local area network with the following command:

xxcopy \\192.168.1.1\c\windows\ c:\backup\test\ /backup

This is as good as

xxcopy \\server_name\c\windows\ c:\backup\test\ /backup

The above two are equivalent --- one with raw IP address, and
the other with the symbolic name. It's already supported by
XXCOPY without any extra layer of tools.

As I always say, if you can do DIR command like

DIR \\192.168.1.1\c

then, you should always be able to run

XXCOPY \\192.168.1.1\c /L

It is the system's responsibility to arrange the file/directory
access by application programs such as XXCOPY.
Rather a pity. :-( If it could be done then the above
would be easy.

As far as I'm concerned, it is a pity that many XXCOPY users
do not know XXCOPY already accepts an raw IP address as a valid
way to specify source/destination volume. It's the system who
should provides access path and for LAN, it's already there.
(For computers connected by WAN (Internet), VPN setup is needed.)
I know the payware xxcopy apparently does (internal) network
connections but I was pretty sure it wouldn't do the above.

Please post after you make a quick test. So, non-user won't
get wrong impression. The distinction between the Freeware
and the XXCOPY-Pro is not the feature distinction.

http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy34.htm

Rather, XXCOPY freeware also supports the same features.
The freeware sometimes reminds the user what the limit of the
Freeware is in unattended operation (for those who do not read
the XXTB #34 article :)

Kan Yabumoto

John Fitzsimons

John Fitzsimons <[email protected]> wrote:

|AFAIK there are few ftp programs that will check source/destination
|disks and only update added/deleted/changed files.
|Come to think of it. Which ftp programs will do that ? Anyone ?
Some that you might want to take a look at.

Wow ! That certainly looks like a program worth investigating. :)

Yes, I very much liked that program when I considered it originally
for the job. I rejected it for some reason. I cannot remember now why
I did that. Either it wasn't suitable to clone a whole computer and/or
it didn't provide a final "synch" ability when everything on both
machines was pretty close to being the same (in other words it
didn't check for the final eg. 1% of files that might need
adding/deleting/changing).

Many thanks for the pointers. :)

Regards, John.

Vic Dura

If you want to copy a web site to a local disk as a mirror you can use
a program called HTTRACK

httrack www.xxcopy.com\resource\windows will mirror that url and
everything below it to the current default directory. It also has
switches to allow updating the local mirror.

Do a google on HTTRACK and you should find it.

John Fitzsimons

If you want to copy a web site to a local disk as a mirror you can use
a program called HTTRACK

Well, my initial requirement was to copy everything from another
computer on the internet. Hundreds of MB. I would need to connect
to her computer directly. Not sure whether that could be done with
HTTRACK. Perhaps if it accepted an address like 66.246.77.100 it
would work ? It would also need to be able to copy ALL filetypes.
Without any exceptions.
httrack www.xxcopy.com\resource\windows will mirror that url and
everything below it to the current default directory. It also has
switches to allow updating the local mirror.
Do a google on HTTRACK and you should find it.

Apart from copying everything from the distant server it would also
need to be able to do a "final" synch of files where only the last eg.
2% might need to be updated.

Thanks for the suggestion. An interesting approach that I hadn't
thought of. :)

Regards, John.

Anonymous

|Well, my initial requirement was to copy everything from another
|computer on the internet. Hundreds of MB. I would need to connect
|to her computer directly. Not sure whether that could be done with
|HTTRACK. Perhaps if it accepted an address like 66.246.77.100 it
|would work ? It would also need to be able to copy ALL filetypes.
|Without any exceptions.

Could set up a quick web server so that it sees all the files
you want to move. Now there it's a web site so HTTrack
http://www.httrack.com/index.php can see it and download it.

From the HTTrack site.
HTTrack can also update an existing mirrored site, and resume
interrupted downloads.

That sounds like sync to me.

-=-