XP / W98 Network problem

G

Hi
Similar problem to MattD in another thread.
I have 3 pc's networked, 2 running W98se and 1 running XP Home. Lets call the 2 W98 machines pcA & pcB.
All pc's can see and access each other with the exception that the XP machine cannot access pcA.

The following error message shows when trying to access pcA:-

\\pcA is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission. The server was not found.

But there it is on the network clear as day. Now the XP machine can access the other W98 machine and settings are the same on both W98 machines. I have been trying to solve this all day but to no avail. I just can't understand why it access's 1 W98 but not the other? I mean if the settings are ok for 1 why not the other.

I hope I have explained this is clear enough

Many thanks

slowhand

H

Hans-Georg Michna

slowhand said:
Similar problem to MattD in another thread.
I have 3 pc's networked, 2 running W98se and 1 running XP Home. Lets call the 2 W98 machines pcA & pcB.
All pc's can see and access each other with the exception that the XP machine cannot access pcA.

The following error message shows when trying to access pcA:-

\\pcA is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission. The server was not found.

slowhand,

please have a look at http://www.michna.com/kb/WxNetwork.htm.

Hans-Georg

G

Cheers for that link.
It prompted me to have a look at the start-up list again. Although I had stopped the firewall on the W98 pc, I noticed that the firewall had 2 entries in the list. Stopped the 2nd one running and BINGO as they say.

Thanks again

slowhand

H

Hans-Georg Michna

slowhand said:
Cheers for that link.
It prompted me to have a look at the start-up list again. Although I had stopped the firewall on the W98 pc, I noticed that the firewall had 2 entries in the list. Stopped the 2nd one running and BINGO as they say.

Thanks again

slowhand,

glad it helped. And thanks for the report!

Hans-Georg

Ask a Question