Windows XP XP Pro install

Reaction score
When I reach the prep.part of the XP Pro install,I get this following message:
C:\ is corrupted and can not be repaired. I don't understand this message, as 98se runs fine on this old second computer that I have. with no problem.Is there anything further I can do? I realize that this system isn't up to XPro standards,but I just wanted to see the interface,etc before installing on my other computer Thanks Papat
Gateway 200 mz-12 G HD

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The specifications on the Gateway are well below Windows optimistic minimum requirements.

;)

Reaction score
it should still "run" as long as you have at least 64MB RAM.

You will have to disable most of the features to make it workable.

Reaction score
Are you doing a fresh install or an upgrade? Hard drive size shouldn't be a problem if it's all for XP, that 200mhz might be a problem though. How much RAM does it have? The lowest spec machine I had XP on was a PII 350, 256MB RAM and 4GB hard drive, it ran so well on that I thought it could handle slightly lower spec machines.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
How is the hard disk formatted? NTFS or FAT32?
Have you, or can you check and format the hard disk on another PC?

Reaction score
I attempted to defrag this drive and got a message that I should run scandisk in the thorough mode which I'm doing now.But, it is sooooooooooo slow,as a matter of fact,it has been almost two days, and it's only about half done,so I'll see what it's like in the morning.Papat

Reaction score
Got XPPro loaded by formating and d\l the six XPPro boot files off the net.Loaded the XP disk and then rebooted using the boot disks.The question I have at this point is,about three times during the actual install phase, a message came up that said:"files needed,insert XPPRO.Copy files from D:\i386."
The XPPRO disk was in the tray,so I hit ok but nothing happened.This was with about 29 minutes left.I finally hit cancel and then the install continued but with only around 22 minutes left showing.This happened about two more times with less minutes showing after I hit the cancel button each time.Anyway,finally came to the end of the install and rebooted.The reboot seemed normal,but the only icon on the desktop was the recycle bin,is that normal? Is there any way to check to see if XP was fully installed? Thanks guys,you have been great.Papat1

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply.I am not online with this old computer as yet.But, what I've described so far,does it sound normal? Thanks Papat
PS:Hope that's not a dumb question.:)

Reaction score
papat said:
Thanks for the quick reply.I am not online with this old computer as yet.But, what I've described so far,does it sound normal? Thanks Papat
PS:Hope that's not a dumb question.:)

No its not a dumb question! But I have not come across the problem you have.
try this; Right click on the start menu>properties>then a box will appear check the classic view and apply>while the box is open click taskbar let me know whats in that?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
right click desktop> properties> desktop tab> customize desktop> check the boxes of the icons you want :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The only icon on desktop following XP Pro install is the recycle bin. So yes, that's normal.

And yes, install all critical updates.

edit: oops, missed Mucks' reply... It's Sunday, I'll let you off (edit by; Mucks)

Reaction score
Yep.All I needed to do was click on the start button.Thanks to all you guys from over here in the "colonies." Papat

Reaction score
The only icon on the desktop as standard in Windows XP is the recycle bin. Nothing wrong there.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thank you Chris, nothing like confirming that thing for the third time ;)

papat: Colonies? Here? Far as I can recollect we formed the colonies, for good or for bad. Where's NH then?

Reaction score
The great XP / hardware debate (Not)

Just to clear up any queries about XP. I installed XP on a 233 MMX with 128MB Ram. It ran like a single legged dog, but it ran. Generaly XP needs about a GB HD space to load, and at least 64MB RAM. Turning off all the bells and whistles makes it a little faster. but it's an exercise in futility - it can be done but the machine is so slow it's not worth bothering with. For speed on a PC like that you should install 98, or better still Linux. I seem to think that you can even install OS/2 on it too. Also, Gateway used to have a problem - which they refused to acknowledge - with their proprietry design. I had a Gateway 2000 with NT4 to support once that refused to run a particular program which the other PCs (same CPU and Ram) had no problem with at all. Kept me well away from Gateway that did!
Good luck

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks David for your reply.Actually,I was just seeing if I could load it on an old machine to see it's interface,etc,and to see if I want to upgrade my regular machine which is running 98se.Thanks again.Papat

Ask a Question