Windows XP Mass Storage Controller Driver for Asus motherboard P4R800-VM motherboard for XP Re-installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am trying to reinstall xp sp2 Home edition on my older desk top computer as I wanted to upgrade the capacity of hard disk to 250 GB and to eliminate various PC problems. My old disk was only 200 GB capacity. Here are the specifications for my desk top.

Desktop is Mesh for which there is no support in the UK (it ceased existing a long time ago in UK).

Mother Board Asus P4R800-VM

Processor unit Intel Pentium chip IXP200

My old HD which I am replacing is PM - Maxtor 6Y200PO (200 GB capacity)

My new HD is Quickview Maxtor 6L250PO (250 GB capacity)

The installation reaches to the stage when it has to write the system files on to the hard disk and it fails. The system BIOS recognises the new disk as it is showing it as 6L250PO in the BIOS. I have gone through lots of forums and realise that mass storage device driver is not compatible with the new drive or is missing. I have even tried to reinstall the system on to the old hard disk to see what happens, but it still fails at the same place. I do not have manufacturers disk of drivers for my desk top as it came only with recovery disk and no drivers' disk. I have found all the drivers (chip set, vga etc) from Asus site but do not know which driver is for mass storage Device there. Or should it be from Intel site? If so what the name would be?

Please help to get correct mass storage device driver on a floppy disk as I can only insert the driver in the installation process at RAID drivers’ insertion point.

I cannot clon old HD either as the drive is already formatted. I was trying to reinstall the system first onto the old drive to correct the errors. When that did not work I bought Quickview maxtor drive with higher capacity. But still I cannot reinstall on the new drive. I have an original XP2 SP2 Cd from another PC and I downloaded the installation programme on floppy disks from Microsoft site. But even this combination does not install the system. In this way the system tells me in the middle of the installation that the system cannot copy the file plugin.ocx. obviously this particular file is not available on the xp sp2 CD I have. I don't know how to obtain it and from where. In the end the system cann not copy the files on the hard drive and fails.

Sorry for the long post as I wanted to explain where I am at the moment in ths process. Would be grateful for any advice in this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question