Windows XP Problem reinstalling XP Pro

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having some problems reinstalling XP on my old Toshiba A40 laptop. Its an old works pc but serves my purposes well.

It has recently been giving me some problems so I decided to reinstall XP as there was a lot of software that I have installed over the years that I no longer use.

So instead of having some of these only half uninstalled I decided a clean install would be best, for me anyway as I dont clean up registers etc anyway.

So, I cranked up the XP disc and it asked if I wanted to download the latest files, for the install I thought, which I decided to do. However it seemed to download a lot of updates too, but thats not important for this.

When it came to the install options, I wanted to delete the partition and reformat the C: drive to get my clean install but this was not permitted as I had downloaded files on the HDD which were required and so could not be deleted. Makes sense I guess.

So I decided to do the minimum install and try to delete these files or see if they were deleted after the install.

This was not the case, or beyond my capabilities.

So I tried the install again, in the hope that if I didnt download the files again, I could do the delete and reformat, but this was not the case. no matter what I tried.

I tried several times using whatever install options I could find, including copying all the install files to the HDD, which seems to be a huge mistake.

In the past, I have had the following message at start-up which has not caused me any issues, so I havent looked into it before -

Intel (R) Boot FE v4.1.10

Initialising and Establishing link

PXE-E01 - Media Test Failure. Chech cable
PXE-M0F - Exiting Intel Boot Agent.

And now, after the above messages, I get the following -

Please select the operating system to start :

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup

Use the Up and Down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Press ENTER to choose.

etc etc etc.

When I choose the XP Pro option it obviously just loads up the minimum install that I have already put on the HDD which is not the clean version I had wanted, tho it is much quicker already.

When I choose the XP Pro Setup option, it sends me right into the XP Pro setup, without giving me any chance to load any other CD, no matter what I have in the CD-drive.

So I am stuck in a catch 22 situation.

I have create a CD with some utilities that should allow me to reformat the C: drive but I obviously cant boot from this CD because of the above.

I have the following Bios settings too, incase u need this info.

ACPI Bios V1.50
Boot seq - CD-ROM->LAN->HDD->FDD
Network Boot Protocol - PXE (not RPL).

I have never booted from the LAN or FDD (whatever that is), so have no idea why they are in there or how to remove them.

I you can stop laughing at my current situation and let me know how I can get out if this, without using a hammer, please let me know.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers, George.

The following is my laptop spec

OS - Windows XP Pro
Anti-virus - Norton Internet Security - v 17.8.0.5
Anti-Spyware - Norton
I connect via BT adsl to Net
Laptop is Toshiba A40

Motherboard vendor - Toshiba
model - Portable PC V.A0
Memory - 2gb
CPU - Mobile Intel Pentium CPU 2.66 GHz
Video - Intel 82852/82855 Graphics Controller.

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

This is the procedure I have been using and cannot delete the existing partition to do a clean install.

I also cannot use any boot CD except the SP2 one that I used originally, so I cant boot using a utilities CD to do a manual reformat on the HDD.

Any other advice ?

Thanks, George.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
I'm struggling to understand this problem. What install disc are you using? is it a proper XP install disc or a recovery disc that came with the laptop? what are these other discs you are trying to use?

if its a proper install disc:

insert the XP install disc, check the BIOS is set to boot from the CD first, re-boot and the install procedure should start. Just follow it until it asks where to install too, select the C: and delete the partition then create a new one

What happens when you try and do that? is there an error message?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am using the proper, and legal, XP Pro install CD.

When I did this the first time, I also downloaded some updates, which is why it woul dnot let me delete the partition where the old XP was loaded on, because the updates were required on the HDD.

After doing the minimum install, I tried to do the install again to see if it would then allow me to do the delete and redefine of the partition in the setup, but it didnt, so I was still not gettting the clean install.

Then I used the option to copy all install files to the HDD which then lead to me having the new screen which only allows me to either load up the XP Pro version or sun the XP Pro setup, that has been copied to the HDD.

And when u run the Setup, it still doesnt allow me to delete the old partition and it does not allow me to boot using another CD in the drive, no matter what the cde is in the drive.

When I try to delete the partition it tells me there is data on there that it needs and so it cannot delete it.

I have done all that you have suggested seevral times already.

Is it possible the Intel Boot FE v4.1.10 has been updated when I coped all the install files over ??

Regards, George.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
When I did this the first time, I also downloaded some updates, which is why it woul dnot let me delete the partition where the old XP was loaded on, because the updates were required on the HDD.

What and where from?

After doing the minimum install, I tried to do the install again to see if it would then allow me to do the delete and redefine of the partition in the setup, but it didnt, so I was still not gettting the clean install.

How did you try and do this?

And when u run the Setup, it still doesnt allow me to delete the old partition and it does not allow me to boot using another CD in the drive, no matter what the cde is in the drive.

When I try to delete the partition it tells me there is data on there that it needs and so it cannot delete it.

Makes no sense, if you boot using the XP install CD it won't say this as it doesn't know what is on the hard drive :confused:

It really sounds like you don't know how to boot from the CD and you are trying to do the install by putting the CD in and running it under the windows environment

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just realised that I have forgot to mention a crucial part of my setup.

I have a USB cd-drive because my internal CD drive isnt workinfg well.

I could slap myself.

I am just so used to using it that I havenbt realised that the CD in the Boot sequence is the internal one and not the USB one !!

Feel free to laugh ur ass off !! :(

Ok, so my question now is, is there any way to have a USB CD drive asa boot drive or will I have to find a replacement internal drive (I am unemployed at the moment so funds are a big issue).

Thanks for your replies so far tho, least I realised how dumb I was, eventually.

Regards, George.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
From your first post it doesn't seem to show up in the BIOS? I'm surprised as most laptops can boot from USB

When you say the internal one isn't working well what do you mean?

Without a CD drive you're pretty buggered unfortunately

Reaction score
Hi,

The internal CD does show up in the Bios and I have used that to reinstall XP before but it is no longer reading the CDs anymore which I why I am using a friends external one.

Ok, so it looks like I have to find a new internal drive. Are they quite universal as I may be able to borrow one ?

Thanks very much for your help, pity I didnt realise my mistake before hand tho.

Regards, George.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A DVD Rom drive costs about 15 quid from PC World and is a doddle to fit.

With the XP CD in the external usb drive in the Bios try selecting 'Removable drive' as primary boot drive and booting.

If you can't boot from a usb device you will have to buy a new internal DVD drive.

Or borrow one, I suppose.

I'm assuming this is a desktop machine and not a laptop.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
A DVD Rom drive costs about 15 quid from PC World and is a doddle to fit.

With the XP CD in the external usb drive in the Bios try selecting 'Removable drive' as primary boot drive and booting.

If you can't boot from a usb device you will have to buy a new internal DVD drive.

Or borrow one, I suppose.

I'm assuming this is a desktop machine and not a laptop.

unfortunately not Flopps, its a laptop

You might be able to cobble something together but in all honesty you would be better off trying to find a replacement drive

Reaction score
Yes agreed, I will try to get hold of another internal cd to use.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers, George.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Have you tried hitting Esc before computer goes to POST ? This should take you to a seperate boot menu that is not part of the BIOS Whn you get into the boot menu there then you can select boot from your USB drive.

Ask a Question