Word Wordpad & Paint Missing

Reaction score
Aw hell, I've done it now.

I was trying to remove Windows Messenger via Add or Remove Windows Components, and I must've left another box checked and didn't notice. Well, I've discovered today that wordpad and microsoft paint are gone from the system. Calculator was also gone-from the start menu. I found it in the System32 directory and simply moved it to the start menu again. The other two, however, are gone. Wordpad is in the I386 folder, but it's file extension is ._ex and I cannot change it to .exe.

I've tried system restore but it keeps telling me that it cannot complete restoration for god knows why. So I'm stuck.....is there any other way to get these files back? E-mail or something?

EDIT-Did some digging and found wordpad in C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories along with wordpad.exe.manifest. Moved them to System32 and wordpad is working.

I also found Paint in I386

Both will run, and I can save files with them, but if I try to open a saved file, it gives me this:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options of the control panel."

What the hell does that mean?!

.JPG is the only type I can open.

And while I'm at it, does it look like anything else is missing?

Attachments

• scrn1.PNG
    scrn1.PNG
    178.3 KB · Views: 489
  • missing.PNG
    missing.PNG
    33.9 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Reaction score
I've figured most of it out. Everything is opening with the correct programs now, but I don't have New Text Document or New Paint Document in the New menu. Is there any way I can add this back?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's good news, I've had a look for how to do what you after for this 2nd problem, but I can't find it. I know it is possible, but I can't seem to string together the right words in a google search to find this problem.

Hopefully someone else will know how to do this :)

Reaction score
Ah, figured it out! Uninstalled all Accessories from the system via Add or Remove Windows Components and then reinstalled them the same way. Everything seems to be alright. So...sorry to bother you with a problem that I fixed myself!

Ask a Question