Word Wordpad

Reaction score
I have a problem with Wordpad on one of my computers running XP. There is a delay every time when I first open the program.

It may have nothing to do with it, but I think I may have edited a file across the network with Wordpad, and that might have may be the cause of the trouble. The reason I say that, is because the problem looks similar to what I have experienced in the past when I have run programs across the network. For example, when I next open the program, it defaults to opening the last file it used, which may be on another networked computer that is not currently turned on, and I have to wait for things to time out.

I haven't figured out a way to clear it. I hate to resort to restoring the whole drive from a backup. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hello Bill!
Welcome to PCReview! :wave:

Go to your registry (Start>Run>Regedit) and delete the following... then try again! :)
HKEY_USERS\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Wordpad

Reaction score
Couldn't find that at HKEY_USER, but did find it at HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

I first tried clearing out the Recent File List - that helped. Wordpad would not open instanly when clicking on a file, but was still slow when I clicked on the Program Icon. So I blew out the entire Wordpad. Now it works although I had put back my custom settings.

Thanks!

Ask a Question