Windows XP WIndows XP Wifi - No internet, but connected

Reaction score
Hi... I'm new to this site, but I came here because I saw a thread where some folks have some tech knowledge regarding the eMachines notebook PCs. I have a 13-year-old or so notebook PC. It's in pretty good shape, but I had a problem and had to use the recovery disks to reinstall Windows XP. Now I have a major problem and I am hoping that someone can offer some advice. After I reloaded Windows XP I linked the notebook's Wi-Fi to my gateway router, but I can't get any programs to actually talk to the internet. It says I have a good wireless connection, but IE won't talk to the web. It says I have no internet connection. I have tried and tried but cannot find where the disconnect may be or how to fix it. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. -- Jim...

Reaction score
Hi James welcome to PCR please join in and enjoy, I am afraid I cannot help you as I am a Linux user but I am sure someone on the site may be able to help you. The only thought I have as Windows XP is discontinued that may have a bearing on your situation. If you are unable to to solve the problem then possibly you could look at a Linux Distro as many are designed for running on old Laptops and notebooks. I will have a quick look and get back to you just in case.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
try using a 'hardwire' connection via an ethernet cable ... you could be lacking some 'drivers' that may fix the issue

:user:

Reaction score
Unfortunately XP is no longer supported so you are not able to get the updates now and the drivers would possibly be on the updates which you cannot get.

Ask a Question