Cannot connect to internet via wifi

Reaction score
I have two PCs (Windows 10) and three android devices, which have connected with no problems to my Asus RT-N66U dual-band router for the last 18 months.
Yesterday my laptop could no longer connect to the internet via wifi. The other devices are not affected. The laptop will connect to the internet through an ethernet cable to the router. It will also get replies from a "ping" from the router and other devices, when operating with wifi. The wifi connection on the laptop says "connected / secured".
So the wifi adapter is working, and I can also file share and print through it. It is just internet connections via browser and email that will not work.

Any help, with explanations, would be great, please.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I had something similar in that my PC would not connect to the router whilst other devices did. This suggested that the PC was the problem but I found that the only solution was to switch off the router and then switch it on again and then all was well. There seemed little logic in this but it worked every time.

Computers can be very strange and sometimes defy all logic. :)

Reaction score
All my routers and hubs need a quick reset at times. Usually once every 2 months. I know of others that do it too. It seems to be a regular occurence. Whether it is heat or cache issues I have not a clue

Reaction score
All my routers and hubs need a quick reset at times. Usually once every 2 months. I know of others that do it too. It seems to be a regular occurence. Whether it is heat or cache issues I have not a clue

Thank you. I can connect to the router: I cannot connect to the internet through it. Resetting router and uninstall / reinstall network adapter have no effect.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Have you tried contacting your Internet Service Provider?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
They won't help Niv.

I'm using an N66U here (Merlin custom FW) been up for months without issue. Asus routers are bulletproof.

My first thought is a config issue, or security setting on the laptops changed maybe?

Try this:

- Open Command Prompt
- Type "ipconfig/release" (without the quotes) hit enter.
- Then type "ipconfig/renew" (without the quotes) hit enter.

You could also try "ipconfig/flushdns" again without the quotes

Failing that, what does it say when you try and connect, in the browser for example?

Ask a Question