Windows XP Connected to Wireless broadband router, but no internet

Reaction score
Installed new hard drive, installed XP Home, installed all drivers and wireless network & internet connection working a treat. Installed Service pack 3 and now wireless connection is good but no internet connection, nothing at all.

Other PC's connected wirelessly are working fine as usual, including a Mac. What has SP3 done to screw it??

Arnie

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Try temporarily disabling Windows firewall.

Right click on your network icon, check status properties then right click again and open network connections and check your connection is not disabled.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
If its local only go through your connection settings in the network options in the control panel.

Its worth checking the router isn't blocking that machines MAC too.

Worst case delete the network settings for your connection and start again..

Reaction score
Well....in Network connections, the three Connections I have are 1394, Local Area & Wireless and all three are connected. What I don't get is that I downloaded the SP3 via this wireless connections and then this happens. I also can't connect via its IP address of 192.168.1.1 although the Mac can.

It may also be worth mentioning that my network printer (not wireless) is not visible either via the switch although the Mac attached to the same switch prints okay. This invisible printer on the PC had this problem before the wireless problem.

Could this be a motherboard issue possibly?

Thanks for the help btw.

Arnie J Rimmer

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Very unlikely to be a motherboard problem.

Did you temporarily disable the firewall and try and see the router?

It may be worth doing a hard reset on the router (usually done by pressing a pin or paper clip on a recessed button at the rear) and re-entering all your details into the router.

However, if XP still won't see the router after it's been reset you'll have to enter the info via another computer.

But I reckon it's worth a try.

Reaction score
Thanks for that info FloppyBoot. Yes I did the Firewall thing, but no difference. I also tried to Repair the Wireless Connection and then after that I only had a partial Connection as an IP address could not be assigned. To be honest as all other computers Macs & PCs are doing fine, I'm reluctant to do a hard reset.

I might go pack to SP2 which worked. If I view the router via IP from the Mac for instance, what should I be looking for?

[EDIT]: After typing above I rolled back to SP2 and now in the Network Connections I have an Internet Gateway which tells me I'm connected, but websites 'Cannot be found' the message says. That was in Safari.

[2nd EDIT]: Now I have internet and websites & email are working.

TFFT.

Sincere thanks for your help and your quick responses. I'll just stay away from SP3 on this PC.

Arnie.

Last edited:

Ask a Question