Windows 10 laptop won't update

Reaction score
Hi. I have an Asus Notebook with Windows 10 Home edition. After cleaning up and deleting unneccesary files, it still only has 1.5GB left available of its total 28.5GB storage. It has a 1.60GHz processor and 2 GB of RAM installed.
For months now I've been getting Windows messages telling me I need to update but that there is insufficient storage available to do this. When I connect an external drive to use as temporary storage, it starts to prepare to update but then fails at some point, again citing insufficient storage, despite the memory stick having a higher capacity than what Windows says it needs... I'm also getting Windows messages saying this version is no longer supported... and can't manage to stop all these annoying messages that don't lead anywhere!
It is also running quite slowly and I've thought about changing to Linux hoping this would resolve some of these issues.
So as a minimum I would like to stop all these messages. An ideal scenario would be to improve its performance somehow, as I don't have the money for a new machine.
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Barry

Reaction score
At a guess I would say you have a 32GB eMMC drive fitted?
You will struggle. These units are a complete nightmare when updating Windows 10.
Many many people complain about them!

The drives are of insufficient size. Even at a push the 64GB ones are just not big enough when doing all the updates.
Do you not have an option to fit a MicroSD card or internal m.2 drive?

What is the model of the Unit?

Reaction score
At a guess I would say you have a 32GB eMMC drive fitted?
You will struggle. These units are a complete nightmare when updating Windows 10.
Many many people complain about them!

The drives are of insufficient size. Even at a push the 64GB ones are just not big enough when doing all the updates.
Do you not have an option to fit a MicroSD card or internal m.2 drive?

What is the model of the Unit?
Hi thx for your reply. Yes it would be 32GB drive but I'm not sure whether its eMMC...
There is a micro SD option but when I tried it with my card it said there was a problem with that too!

Reaction score
Never found that model.However I think you maybe stuck unless the MicroSD slot is sorted
Does the SD card match minimum specs?

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem with a Hewlett-Packard (7265ngw). If you have the option it's worth installing windows 10 in S Mode. The operating system uses less space. I was unable to off load enough content to an SD Card to allow it to update the OS. Had to reinstall the OS and now install new apps to the SD Card.

Reaction score
I've been trying to update my Asus with this same issue for a long time now. Fails every time and for no obvious reason. In the end I just gave up on the update after trying as many methods as I could find online. During my search I remembered reading a post that said, in the end, some laptops just won't update - no reasons why

Ask a Question