Windows xp be quiet part II ! explained.

Richard Urban

It's just XP doing self maintenance!

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

Skybuck Flying

It amazes me a bit how windows xp keeps making noise even while my system is
doing nothing at all.

Believe me I have a very slick system... It's just reading or writing a few
bytes to the harddisk every 2 seconds or so.

I have a minimum of services running as adviced by symantec.

Processess:

ctfmon.exe
zlclient.exe (zone alarm pro)
explorer.exe <- reading/writing a few bytes per 2 seconds or so.
vsmon.exe (zone alarm pro)
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe <- reading/writing a few bytes per 5 seconds or so.
system
system idle process...

Why is explorer or csrss reading/writing a few bytes per few seconds ?

Sometimes windows xp even starts to rattle if I leave it a lone for say 15
minutes... etc.

It's tiring thinking about it :D

BE QUIET ! =D

I just want some peace ! :D

( Dos was never this bad :D )

Lol,
Skybuck.

The comment that XP is just doing maintenance is way off base. I have had XP since it's release and have never had it do this supposed maintenance. What is happening is one of two things. Either the system is running the indexing program or creating a recovery point. There is also a chance that you have a third party program and have enabled one of it's functions. For instance. Diskeeper has a "set it and forget it" option that will allow the program to run whenever defragmentation exceeds a certain level. If your machine is a stand alone machine used at home then I would turn off the indexing as well as the useless system restore. If you have XP Home Edition then you will find the NT Backup on the disk in the valueadd\msft\ntbackup folder. Backing up with NT Backup you can be assured that your files will be there when and if you need to recover them. The System Restore points are affected by anything from disk cleaning to disk optimizing. csrss.exe: This is "Client Server Runtime Process" is part of the core of Windows. You cannot kill it and I am not sure why you would even want to. It is a 4k process that sucks up about 3 MB to 6 MB or so, but I do not support making it go away. Usually, if it is "difficult" to get rid of, it is needed. Good luck.{:~)

Richard Urban

XP defrags the prefetch files when the system is unused for a period of
time. Isn't the indexing service, maintenance? Granted, most don't need it
and it can be turned off.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

The Unknown P said:
[...]

hermes

Before the MVP (M$ Victim Poster) Hermes responded, Richard Urban typed:
XP defrags the prefetch files when the system is unused for a period
of time. Isn't the indexing service, maintenance? Granted, most don't
need it and it can be turned off.

This is the crappy type of poor OS you should never settle for on your
machine. I have rarely if ever seen even another version of windows behave
like this. If it did, it was a sure sign something was wrong. You should
be well warned away from XP when it behaves like this by default!

--
hermes
DRM sux! Treacherous Computing kills our virtual civil liberties!

Windows XP crashed.
I am the Blue Screen of Death.
No one hears your screams.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it is not working.
Windows is like that.

Alex Zhang

Hello,

Thank you for posting here.

Csrss process is win32 subsystem. Third party programs may cause this
process to active consistently. For more information you may browse the
following web site:

263201 Default Processes in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=263201

I suggest we first restart the computer in the Safe Mode to see if the
problem also occurs in the mode which loads a minimal protected-mode
configuration.

To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps:

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On
a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems,
you can press the F8 key when you see the Boot Menu.
2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select an option, and
then press ENTER.
3. When the Boot menu appears again, and the words "Safe Mode" appear in
blue at the bottom, select the installation that you want to start, and
then press ENTER.

A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;315222

In addition, we could try to run clean boot. To do so, please follow the
steps in the following article.

Q310353 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP
<http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/Articles/q310/3/53.asp>

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me
know. I am happy to be of assistance.

Thanks and regards,
Alex Zhang
Microsoft Partner Online Support