windows was unable to save all data for file $mft

Mark V

In said:
Does anyone know how to resolve this issue and what it
means?

All I do know is you should backup immediately your important data.
The $mft refers to the Master File Table, a critical file system
stucture on your hard disk drive. I have never seen such an error, but
it is a serious one and may lead to data loss. If no one posts more
I'll see what can be found via Google and MS tomorrow.

This might be better in microsoft.public.win2000.file_system
as it is not likely a registry issue.

Mark V

In said:
Does anyone know how to resolve this issue and what it
means?

All I do know is you should backup immediately your important data.
The $mft refers to the Master File Table, a critical file system
stucture on your hard disk drive. I have never seen such an error, but
it is a serious one and may lead to data loss. If no one posts more
I'll see what can be found via Google and MS tomorrow.

This might be better in microsoft.public.win2000.file_system
as it is not likely a registry issue.

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
Subject: Re: windows was unable to save all data for file $mft
From: Mark V <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.registry
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:58:38 -0800

--

Daisy,

Mark is correct that the error is referencing the Master File Table on which ever drive the error is pointing to. You might
want to check the System Event Log for an Event ID 26, it may have more information. Mark is also correct in this is not a
registry issue and microsoft.public.win2000.file_system would be a better place to post the issue.

Before doing anything else backup any data from the referenced drive that you can not live without.

Once you have a backup you might want to try running chkdsk /f but I would see what the file_system group has to offer first.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Bill Peele [MS]