Windows Mail - Sent Mail Goes to Sent Folder, But Does Not Send

Toyman

Elvin,
I've been running Norton 360 since it became available, on my Vista Office
machine. Settings are to scan both incoming & outgoing mail. I haven't had
any problems - yet(?). Seems I'm hearing some axe-grinding involving Norton
& McAfee. I'd be interested in knowing how many other Norton-Vista users
are NOT having problems.

I, like you, have some frustrations with Vista, but most of mine involve
ignorance about file management - that is, how to do the things I became
adept at doing in XP. I'm sure Microsoft is aware of the issues that good
folks like you and I are complaining about, but they have a bit of a problem
in that they can't 'shotgun' a fix for multiple independent issues. They
have to consider a bigger picture - i.e. will the solution to your problem
create a different problem(s) somewhere else?. (No, I don't/didn't work for
MS)

Please consider that the MVP's who are responding to our cries for help are
doing the best they can - without compensation. Some are better than
others, but many of us would certainly be deeper in the proverbial creek
without them.

Also like you, I'm not really interested in being lectured at, about a
product that has these kinds of flaws. So if I may make a suggestion, when
you feel your stress level getting out of hand, take a deep breath, turn off
the PC, and pour yourself a favorite potion. Mine's Beefeaters on the
rocks. I'm going to have one now.

Cheers.

The Toyman
Retired IT Rep
______________________________________

I too am having exactly the same problem. It's frustrating enough that I
can't mail friends but I specifically got on-line as I felt increasingly
left
out in relation to accessing simple services previously available in the
real
world - job opportunities, on-line discounts etc.
Having spent a considerable amount of money on a laptop, printer, wireless
hub, security package (Norton) isp connection and subscriptions I feel
absolutely fed up that Windows Vista mail issues have left me exactly where
was except distinctly poorer and totally disillusioned with this 'brave new
world'. I don't want to be driving around looking for hot spots, I don't
want to have to encroach on friends and neighbours as this is impractical
for
what I want to do. I just want the product I purchased to do what it's
designed for.

I appreciate it's not a perfect world, but equally I appreciate the
fundamental right users have to be able to trust products supplied by one of
the world's largest corporations.

Can we have a proper fix please?

and no I don't want to get rid of norton, download avast etc etc etc I just
want the product to work with what I have, as i don't have endless streams
of
income availabe to support Microsoft in product development!

thanks Gary,
I'm a total novice as I said and assumed ms had their own geek squad who did
their best to identify and resolve issues pre roll out. It's not the trouble
I have the issue with, it's the knowledge that I don't possess that causes me
the problem. I've owned my first ever shiny new laptop for about three weeks
and have used it daily (8hrs +), am learning but clearly not fast enough.

Have dumped Windows Mail and selected Carrier Pigeon from Tools, Options,
Old Skool! Seriously though I have got a g-mail account and am using ISP
account till I feel confident and competent enough to have a crack at
resolving WM! It'd just be nice to use the system provided in vista to mail
people from the off.

All things considered, I'd return the car to the dealer rather than discover
how many parts I needed to swap out myself before it was fixed, I hope you
didn't invalidate your warranty if you tried the DIY approach on yours.

Still scared but always smiling (ignorance is indeed bliss) and still
hopelessly Ludditious.

Does my question re switching off to send and back on to receive have any
merit?

Thanks Toyman
Mines a large Talisker,
and yes I do appreciate the mvp's comments (always guys, honest)
and yes I'm sure I'll get there someday
and yes I'm sorry for airing my frustrations
and yes I feel suitably humbled.

I've never been adept at doing any of it so I'm sure there's an element
(99%) of ignorance on my part.

Off for that some of that peaty malt with a seaweed aftertone now.

Kind regards
Elvin

I know what you mean, I guess the issue for me is that I'm hopelessly green
and have huge trust issues with on-line freebies. I'm sure I'll grow into it
eventually, just need to find my feet.

Thanks for all your help Gary and apols to you and Frank for being a little
short earlier, long day, steep learning curve and relatives demanding photo's
of 12 week old daughter not helping!

Wow, a lot of posts today. Anyway, God does answer prayers. In going
through this over the last few days, it just didn't look like I was having
any luck. However, after rebooting tonight, saying another prayer, crossing
my fingers and holding my breath, Windows Mail is completely working...LOL

All kidding aside, I had rebooted and restarted after just about everything
that was suggested over the last few days. So, tonight's reboot, I don't
believe, had anything to do with the fix.

Bottom line, after reading several other helpful posts by the MVPs, I no
longer have unviewable email straggling in just about all of my folders, and
now I can send and receive at will.

Final question, one thing I did the other day was remove McAfee altogether.
If I were to go download this Avast, will that do everything that I need to
keep my PC safe?

Thanks to everyone and best of luck to all.

Gary VanderMolen

No problem. Glad to answer any questions you might have.
I may not always have the answer, but I like to share what I can.

Gary VanderMolen

Gary VanderMolen

Mark said:
Final question, one thing I did the other day was remove McAfee altogether.
If I were to go download this Avast, will that do everything that I need to
keep my PC safe?

Yes, it should, in conjunction with Windows own Firewall and Windows Defender.
It's all the security software I've been using for years.
Be sure to turn off Avast's email scanning feature.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Elvin (the Luddite?) said:
I'm a newby to all this so apologies if I'm coming across a bit 'obtuse'
but
I was under the impression that Windows Mail is an 'updated and improved'
version of Outlook Express and therefore came later than email scanning
programmes, anti-virus software such as Norton and McAfee , which would
lead
me to suppose that 'Windows Mail is not compatible with Norton or any
programme scanning email.

The wider issue is that I was sold Norton360 (by the largest national
computer retailer I know) as an add-on at the same time as purchasing my
laptop (pre-loaded with Vista), the retailer gave no indication of the
apparent conflict between the two as I assume he was blissfully unaware
there
was one. How many Vista machines and packages do you think got mis-sold
whilst I typed this?

Was Outlook Express compatible with Norton or McAfee as I'm sure I'll end
up
uninstalling Vista and back tracking to XP?

1. Windows Mail is the replacement under Vista for OE. It has a much
better database structure.

2. Norton 360 came out after Windows Mail and therefore has new ways to
screw up Windows Mail.

3. Norton and McAfee should not be used with Outlook Express.

4. Norton and McAfee should not be used with anything else, either.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Mark said:
[...]

What Gary said, except that nothing can protect you from careless surfing
and foolish downloading.

Frank, can you please quantify what you mean by "careless surfing and foolish
downloading"?

The reason I ask is that I was about to download Avast Anti virus software
(not widely known) and delete Norton (quite commonplace) on the advice of two
essentially anonymous contributors to a help forum, neither of whom I know
but both clearly IT savvy. Would you consider this to be foolish?

Despite the structure of my question I am serious, is it wise for me to
download Avast before deleting Norton (will it cause some kind of conflict),
after deleting Norton (will I be exposed to anything that may "piggyback in"
whilst I'm downloading).
It's a minefield for the novice out there and some constuctive advice would
be welcome.

Julian

Elvin (the Luddite?) said:
Frank, can you please quantify what you mean by "careless surfing and
foolish
downloading"?

The reason I ask is that I was about to download Avast Anti virus software
(not widely known) and delete Norton (quite commonplace) on the advice of
two
essentially anonymous contributors to a help forum, neither of whom I know
but both clearly IT savvy. Would you consider this to be foolish?

Without doing further research... perhaps.
Check other sources for more info. eg.
http://www.download.com/3150-2239_4-0.html?tag=cat
Despite the structure of my question I am serious, is it wise for me to
download Avast before deleting Norton (will it cause some kind of
conflict),
after deleting Norton (will I be exposed to anything that may "piggyback
in"
whilst I'm downloading).
It's a minefield for the novice out there and some constuctive advice
would
be welcome.

Here is a solution.

Leave Norton running.
Download Avast.
Disconnect from internet.
Uninstall Norton.
Install Avast.
Reconnect to internet.

Thanks for your comments Julian, both helpful.
but can I truly trust a download site listing the following as "Popular on
CNET Networks:"

PS3|Wii|Xbox 360|Pussycat Dolls????????????????????????|

LOL

Julian

Elvin (the Luddite?) said:
Thanks for your comments Julian, both helpful.
but can I truly trust a download site listing the following as "Popular on
CNET Networks:"

Ultimately you can't trust anybody, least of all your elf.

I have been running Windows Mail ( Vista ) and McAfee scanning my e-mail
for 3 months with no problems.

On Saturday the 21st, for no apparent reason, I encountered this same
problem. My outgoing mail never leaves my machine. Incoming mail is not
affected. I un-installed McAfee to see if that was the problem-- no good,
problem still remains. I have not changed any settings or added new
software, just out of nowhere this problem came up. And I do not get any
error message telling me what the problem might be.

Can I get a show of hands--- is anyone having this problem using an OS other
than Vista? Anybody using XP or older and having the problem with Outlook?

It is enormously frustrating--- just started up for no apparent reason.

Gary VanderMolen

There is no point in asking about similar problems with older products.
Vista is new, Windows Mail is new.

Anyone who has followed this newsgroup for the past several months
knows that McAfee is a major source of problems with Windows Mail.
Even after uninstalling it, one often has to recreate the affected account
due to lasting damage done by McAfee antivirus.

That said, are you sure your send problem is not due to a stuck email
in the Outbox?

Gary VanderMolen

Steve Cochran

<VBG>

Frank Saunders said:
"Elvin (the Luddite?)" <Elvin (the Luddite?)@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message

1. Windows Mail is the replacement under Vista for OE. It has a much
better database structure.

2. Norton 360 came out after Windows Mail and therefore has new ways to
screw up Windows Mail.

3. Norton and McAfee should not be used with Outlook Express.

4. Norton and McAfee should not be used with anything else, either.

Hi Julian, 'sme again!

Have downloaded Avast whilst leaving Norton Running
Have disconnected from internet - even unplugged cables
Have uninstalled Norton completely including restart procedure
Have installed Avast - complete with scary you're not protected/out of date
defender message
Have "updated now"
Have reconnected to internet
All seems to be okay

One last question (yeah right!) - will WM now release all my supposed sent
messages to the recipients (large volume of test mails sent) or is it best to
remove and recreate my current WM account (as recommended to "amo" if McAfee
was installed and subsequently uninstalled - see just below)?

I am also having this problem of "sent" emails not arriving at their
destination. I have gotten rid of Mcafee and gone to Avast. I have also
set
junk mail settings to "no". So far, nothing has helped. Any further
ideas?

Remove and recreate the account.
Junk mail settings do not effect outgoing mail.
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Ultimately I'll not trust your answer without doing further research so I'm
using this reply to invite any other willing contributors to reply also! :)
How's everyone else getting on with this issue now - Mark, amo, Chris,
kian_song having any joy?

Kind regards to all
Elvin (becoming less Ludditious by the day)

Elvin (the Luddite?) said:
Hi Julian, 'sme again!

Have downloaded Avast whilst leaving Norton Running
Have disconnected from internet - even unplugged cables
Have uninstalled Norton completely including restart procedure
Have installed Avast - complete with scary you're not protected/out of
date
defender message
Have "updated now"
Have reconnected to internet
All seems to be okay

One last question (yeah right!) - will WM now release all my supposed
sent
messages to the recipients (large volume of test mails sent) or is it best
remove and recreate my current WM account (as recommended to "amo" if
McAfee
was installed and subsequently uninstalled - see just below)?

I would since the account might have some lingering trace of Norton.