Windows Installer 3.1 won't install

Tried the automatic update route 5 times and kept getting an error code which
I copied, but have now lost, but which I think ended in 80008. Tried to
download directly from microsoft download.com; got a clean download, but only
a partial install with an incredibly fast set of error msgs that warned of:
partial install, probabable failure of installer and several msgs that were
too fast to read. Help, please.

Okay, Jason, I used the provided link and followed all prompts...here's what
happened.

Download began correctly, I agreed to EULA and proceeded;
Download concluded, file opened and began to extract, backups were created,
file began to install, and then first error msg popped up:

KB893803V2 setup
Access is denied

clicked OK button

Next msg reads:

KB893803V2 Installation did not complete
Select OK to undo changes that have been made

I click OK, and the uninstaller screen pops up and theoretically uninstalls
everything as check marks appear before each listed item (3 of them),
followed by this next msg:

KB 893803V2 Windows installer has been partially updated and may not work
properly.

I then click OK and the computer shuts down windows and reboots.

What's next, Please?

I am having that same problem on three different systems all running WinXP
SP2. I have tried the same suggests and received the same errors. I'd really
like to know how to fix this without having to rebuild.
Thanks for any help
Buzz

Bill Lathan

Has there been a solution or workaround for this problem? When I use MS
Update, I see the thing look like it installs and then simply get a message
that says installation failed.

TIA,

Bill

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Download and install directly:

Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FC-5F56-4A38-B838-DE776FD4138C&displaylang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­----------------

:

| Has there been a solution or workaround for this problem? When I use MS
| Update, I see the thing look like it installs and then simply get a message
| that says installation failed.
|
| TIA,
|
| Bill

Oliver Costich

From: "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Windows Installer 3.1 won't install
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 14:14:18 -0600
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

------=_NextPart_000_00FA_01C64A96.3F080D80

Download and install directly:

Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FC-5F56-4A38-B838-DE776FD4138C&displaylang=en

--

I came on thsi thread because I am having this problem. I did a repair
installation of XP Pro beacuse of some driver corruption. Now it

Any other suggestions for this issue?