Windows XP Win XP Pro Startup Issue

Reaction score
Did a clean install of Win Xp Pro 32 bit on a new computer. 1st issue was during OS install, Cannot load this file. Found I had only 1 stick in the memory box. Loaded all 4, Os installed no problem. I figured out what the program did.

New problem now, after I shut down, trying to restart, the Win XP load page comes up with the loading indicator and that's it. Just keeps doing the above. When I push the computer's restart button, it reloads and after the initial load page with the indicator, goes to the page asking if I want to start in safe mode, etc. Pushing enter for normal load, everything loads and all works ok.

I found on the hardware page there are several yellow ?? under other devices, none of which I plan to use. BTW, this computer is not going to be used on the internet, strickly in a music editing operation. I question if these "other devices" need hardware and/or updates. Is there a way to delete them?

Puzzled
icon5.gif
and appreciate some advice
icon7.gif
- thanks.

Reaction score
Normally if you have the yellow ? come up their is a problem with those devices, even if your not going to use them you need to sort them out. May be just a driver that needs installing. XP may not run properly without them, hence your problem!

How much memory do you have installed?
XP can have a problem looking at over 3GB of RAM, if so you may need to take 1 out!
3GB+ is aimed at the new O/S Vista and not XP.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I found on the hardware page there are several yellow ?? under other devices, none of which I plan to use. BTW, this computer is not going to be used on the internet, strickly in a music editing operation. I question if these "other devices" need hardware and/or updates. Is there a way to delete them?
Yellow ?? need 'fixing' or remove them. ;)

It would/may help if you actually told us what the PC is. :rolleyes:

user.gif

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys, do appreciate! What finally fixed my startup problem was a fresh, clean install of the XP pro. As far as memory, I have 2 sticks of 1G and 2 sticks of 512 in there. The system seems ok with that. I can change out the 512s with 2 - 256s. Reading the book, it mentions to use equal memory (balance) in the 4 memory slots for uptimum performance. So my line up is first slot - 1 gb, second slot - 512, 3rd - 1gb and 4th - 512. The PC is an Intel D915GUX motherboard with Pentium 4 running FSB at 800 Mhz, 120 GB Western Digital Hard Drive, 450 watt Cool Max power supply, nothing too usual operating with Win XP Pro 32bit, Service Pack 2.

I have a M-Audio 1010LT sound card on order, not here yet. Was thinking after installing the driver for it, that might clear up my yellow ?? - other devices, maybe? doubt it tho.

The only program living in this box so far is Partition Magic 7.0 and it works fine. I've never had the startup problem I saw here so wasn't sure where to look at first. There must have been a command line missing or corrupted. I did switch memory sticks with known good ones before the reinstall. They didn't change anything.

Another thing, this box doesn't do hibernate or standby. Is that just a thing with this m/b, or is that a "feature" of this particular OS. I believe on my other XP pro boxes, they do have hibernate/standby. Not a big deal.

Thanks again :thumb:

Last edited:

Ask a Question