YouTube error: "If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device"

Reaction score
On a fairly regular basis, I get this error when attempting to play a YouTube video without the video beginning play in a prompt manner. The videos occasionally do begin to play, but not after at least a 2 to 3 minute wait but usually not at all. And to make this even more puzzling, if they do begin play, they do so without sound. Then if I insert the headphone plug and remove it, the sound begins

Multiple searches led me to the alleged solution - disable hardware acceleration in the browser's system settings. However, disabling hardware acceleration did not fix the problem. I have also updated the sound, video and display adaptors via the device manager within control panel. But none of this made a difference.

Rebooting my system will fix the problem, but only temporarily. Typically within a few hours after a reboot, the problem arises again.

Might anyone else have encountered this issue and found that disabling hardware acceleration did not fix it? If so, what is the fix for this issue?

Ask a Question