Windows 10 Win 10 reinstall

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My installation of Windows 10 is borked so I've decided to do a fresh installation of this OS. I had been putting it off as I know it will be complicated owing to the fact that all my games are installed on a separate drive to the C drive but the game clients themselves are all on C drive.

I have mentioned this problem in several other threads but thought it wise to start a thread dedicated to this reinstall. Here's a few of the things wrong with my Win 10 install:

USB sticks and memory cards do not work
Many standard keyboard commands do not work, including the windows key
Gears Of War 4, a Microsoft Xbox One game, does not work in Win 10 yet it is supposed to. It did at one time but not now.
Every time I click 'Log In' to Paypal I get a BSOD. This does not happen in a machine I have with Win 7.

There are other faults but those things are quite enough to drive me loopy.

I have my Win 10 SSD hard disk in a caddy so it was easy to take out that SSD and insert another for the fresh install, both my SSD's are 250Gb. I burnt the Win 10 disk from an ISO I d/l from Microsoft and booted from that.

Win 10 then presented me with a list of hard drives on my computer so I picked the 250Gb SSD, deleted it then formatted it.

And that's as far as I've managed so far because when I click on 'next' it tells me Windows can't install to that drive and quotes error 0x80300024. A search shows that 158 people have had this problem who have asked Microsoft for a solution and the most common answer is 'disconnect your other drives for the install'

I haven't tried that yet but I shouldn't have to do that, it rather disqualifies the advantage of being able to swap out the SSD in a caddy in my opinion.

I am sincerely unimpressed with Windows 10 so far, it has turned out to be one very flakey operating system and it's now in the last chance saloon. If this install doesn't work after disconnecting my other three drives then I will seriously consider returning to Windows 7. And yes, I can do that quite easily, it's not a problem.

By way of interest I could choose between entering a serial number or 'I don't have a serial number' during the install process. I don't have a serial number and this only reinforces any anxiety I'm feeling about activating Windows 10 Home if and when I ever get a fresh installation onto my SSD.

Reaction score
Still on 7 will stay on 7 as long as possible

Still use XP on a couple other machines when they are powered up.
Run fine just can't do any updates is all

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Man that's a long list of very random issues to have.

That error apparently points to a hard drive issue - the one your trying to install on. Out of interest, If it were me I would try installing it onto another drive, see if it works. I'd also connect the drive direct to the MB rather than via the caddy.

I just wonder if you might have another HW gremlin there, the USB issues etc. could the motherboard have a fault?

By way of interest I could choose between entering a serial number or 'I don't have a serial number' during the install process. I don't have a serial number and this only reinforces any anxiety I'm feeling about activating Windows 10 Home if and when I ever get a fresh installation onto my SSD.
Don't worry about that. it will self activate after the install, I've done it countless times. In fact I reinstalled 10 to my brothers laptop just days ago and it was activated again within minutes. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I now have a new install of Win 10 on the SSD I wanted to install it to.

I disconnected all the other three SATA drives from the motherboard and Win 10 decided to install straight away to the SSD (in the caddy), no probs.

It WAS a prob getting activated, Win 10 wouldn't believe me at first and I had to jump through a few hoops, I took a screen shot to prove this.

My motherboard/Win 10 now recognises USB sticks.

Of my three other hard disks, Win 10 now won't see my 2Tb disk I've labelled 'Data' but sees the other 2 ok. This disk also not seen in Win 10 when placed in external USB3 dock. However, both Win 7 and Linux Mint see this 2Tb disk ok and I'm atm pulling data off it to my Win 7 machine, all my apps and docs are on this disk and it's only partially backed up. So that's a bit of a concern.

Have installed Steam, Start 10 and have configured browsing for IE. Tried Call Of Duty 4, all settings and favourite server locations gone. To the best of my knowledge I have backed up just about everything else though, including all my important savegames.

So now it will take forever and a day to reinstall everything.

As for the install problem, both Win 7 and all Linux Distros I've tried will install to a machine with multiple hard disks so why not Win 10? This is progress?

On the plus side, it is booting quicker....

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
According to a lot of articles I read that quick booting feature is very very important. :rolleyes:

Ah, predictability, one of life's uncertain treasures... :rolleyes:

But wait til that 250Gb SSD is full of programs or 'apps' as the svelte young things like to call them, will it boot so fast then? I must admit this new install is very snappy compared to the old one - but will that last?

Ok, a quick update. NAS now recognised and functioning, that took a couple of reboots to do, had me worried for a while.

The 2Tb disk full of data that wasn't recognised had all it's data pulled from it (within Linux Mint, incidentally, not Win 7 as earlier stated). I put the disk back where it originally came from (actually a different SATA slot but same machine) and it still wasn't seen.

So I went to Win 10's Admin/Computer management/Disk management and it was seen there but not labelled and no data was shown on it (the data was copied off, not taken off entirely). So within Win 10's disk management I did /delete/create simple volume/format and it is now recognised in Win 10 ok, albeit blank.

I have yet to check the disks integrity (it's a 2Tb Seagate dated March 2013) but at this moment all the data that was on it previously is being checked by an up to date Kasperskys within Win 7 for nasties. 2 hours to go with Kasperskys then we'll treat it to a bout with Malwarebytes.

So, it is not outside the bounds of possibility that the 2Tb Seagate or the data on it could have caused my problems. On these matters I have an open mind, I am neither for nor against Windows 10, I judge purely on my own experiences and have no fanboy leanings either way. One of these decades I'll get around to trying a Mac OS ;)

After the antivirus and antimalware checks on my data I shall check the disk for mechanical soundness and then hopefully put things back as they were and carry on installing 1001 software applications.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Do not know about W 10 but my W 7 which is quite old now and has about 1 Gb of free space on the nvme drive still boots as fast as it did on install. :cool:

Anyways good luck with the fresh install.

:nod:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Bit of an update on my progress with my Win 10 reinstall. By and large things have turned out ok - so far - and the Microsoft Xbox game Gears Of War 4 now works again, albeit after a fresh 113Gb install. Just by way of mentioning GOW4 is a very good game, imo.

My (Barclays) free version of Kaspersky reinstalled ok, as I'd saved the registration key number and simply reinstalled and entered my original number. This edition expires this December, I don't know if Kaspersky want some money then but if they do they can go whistle, lol

All the games I was worried about, I've managed to get their saved games in place, a great deal of them were saved online so that helped. I did overlook saving my Witcher III games which was a pain as I've put in lots of hours on that game. The saved games were in a dedicated folder in the 'Documents' section of the OS so I loaded the old SSD with the old version of Win 10 on it into a HDD dock and browsed to the relevant folder and transferred the files across.

I've loaded most software onto the new install but still have some more to go. I've been using Acronis True Image - the 2015 version I think - to back up my new install along the way as more and more software is installed and so far I have three saves in three folders. So if this Win 10 goes belly-up again I should be ok for a fuss free reinstall, although that will be without all the then current Microsoft updates.

My original Win 10 install was over my old installed version of Win 7, this install of Win 10 is a fresh one to a blank hard drive so maybe that will make it more stable.

So - so far so good, fingers crossed and touch wood.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
By gum yer not doing too bad there mate. Twenty five days on and you have the end in sight :rolleyes::lol:

With a perspective like that there's a job for you as a writer with the Daily Mail ;)

I haven't actually done anything significant to it for around a fortnight and I probably won't install much else unless I have a need to use that software.

As a for instance I have some Imtoo software for managing music on iPods, I'll probably put that on.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
With a perspective like that there's a job for you as a writer with the Daily Mail ;)

I could do with a job :D I been waiting for the Welsh Ambulance service to finalise my application as a voluntary driver for over five months now and am rather skint. :rolleyes:

Ask a Question