Why can't I connect ?

Reaction score
I am in the UK and have a Toshiba A60 laptop running Windows XP with SP2- fitted with a 54g Belkin wireless notebook network card. (F5D7010)... and connected to my ADSL line I have a Belkin ADSL Modem with build in Wireless Router (F5D7630) The modem is working fine when I connect to the laptop with a LAN cable - and it has been configured etc.with all lights working. The problem is that the setup will not work wirelessly.
The PCI card will not detect a network and the connection icon remains red.
I have spoken to the Belkin helpline - and with their help tested router and card and apparentlythey are functioning ok. On helpline advice I have tried changing the card's drivers to North American drivers - this doesn't work and seems to keep siezing up my computer. On advice I have changed the channel on the router configuring screen - again no change. It was suggested that maybe my cardbus driver - Texas Instruments PCI1410 - is having a conflict with the card and that there is some historyof this. It was suggested I change my cardbus driver - but I can't find any update to the one I've got . I then tried installing a Linksys driver for the card - and it worked for about ten minutes before going back to red and "no network found" Anyone else got any ideas ?????

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It does sound like purely a drive problem if the laptop worked with a new driver, although working for only 10 minutes is a little confusing. If you try to reconnect using the Linksys driver, does it work then - or was it a one off?

Reaction score
Ahh....

This may help... GET RID OF SP2!!!

SP2 has several problems, i have had this problem, as soon as i took off SP2, it all worked fine!

Hope this helps,

KGB

Reaction score
spamdog,

i've got exactly the same config as you, same laptop, wireless card and router.

will post something useful tomorrow, haven't got time now sorry.

helps on its way just hang on! ;)

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
It does sound like purely a drive problem if the laptop worked with a new driver, although working for only 10 minutes is a little confusing. If you try to reconnect using the Linksys driver, does it work then - or was it a one off?

It worked fine last night with the Linksysdriver - this morning I get an error message saying Co create Instance failure 0x80040154 ..and then another message about the driver having a runtime error. I tried system restoring back to last night but get same error message. Tried uninstalling and re-installing linksys driver - same error message

Reaction score
Techy said:
spamdog,

i've got exactly the same config as you, same laptop, wireless card and router.

will post something useful tomorrow, haven't got time now sorry.

Still hanging on !

Reaction score
Techy, Why do you always do that?

I asked a question, and techy said he knew the answer, but he "may post it sometime"

KGB

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Techy said:
haven't got time now sorry.

KGB, Techy's answer is probably quite a long one and he didn't have time to post it when he wrote that - I sometimes see things I know the answer too, but only a few mins before uni so I have to wait till I get back.

Reaction score
KGB-911,

I do that because i do have a life and career outside of PCR, going off the lack of sympathy you obviously don't!

Spamdog,

Please accept my apologies for the delay, busy man and all that!

first off all, uninstall the 54g PCMCIA card and reinstall using the original driver supplied.

Have you been through the wireless setup on the router?

if so, either take a screen grab or list the configuration.

J

Reaction score
Now just to keep this sorry saga going ..the latest ! I have installed linksys drivers/belkin drivers etc. and occasionally managed to connect for a few minutes. So in despair I restored my whole system and started again. Just plain old Windows xp - no sp2 - no Mcafee nothing - the first thing I installed after XP was the Belkin ...and lo it started working...and then not working. Then I noticed when it was off that I was getting a signal from another Belkin 54g..different ISP different channel..presumably next door or definitely nearby. Now if I'm in the right place I can connect to that - but not to my own Belkin ADSL router which is sitting 6 inches from the computer. I have changed channels etc. to no avail. I am beginning to wonder if the wireless bit of it is only working intermittently (the LAN is fine) - anybody know how I can test it?

Reaction score
Techy said:
KGB-911,

I do that because i do have a life and career outside of PCR, going off the lack of sympathy you obviously don't!

Spamdog,

Please accept my apologies for the delay, busy man and all that!

first off all, uninstall the 54g PCMCIA card and reinstall using the original driver supplied.

Have you been through the wireless setup on the router?

if so, either take a screen grab or list the configuration.

J
just got your message while I was sadly compiling my last post ..standby and I will post my adsl router configuration

Reaction score
OK sorry - I don'tknow how to do a screen grab- all I can say is that I went through the router adsl set up a few days ago with the helpline and it is configured ppoa - yes 0/38 VC Mux Idle and on channel 11 - . All the lights are lit and I am currently using the internet through a LAN connection to the modem

As for the card - I used the latest European driver from www.belkin.com driver version 3.30.15.0 it can't find any available networks -link status says no networks available (even though adsl modem is six inches away !) So I'm still unsure whether it is the card or the router - although as I say the card appears to be able to pick up a signal next door from a different belkin adsl

Spamdog said:
just got your message while I was sadly compiling my last post ..standby and I will post my adsl router configuration

Reaction score
Do a "screen grab" by pressing "print screen", then go to paint, click Edit > Paste.

There it is!

Reaction score
If anybody is interested the reason I couldnt connect was not the Belkin card it was the ADSL/router. I realised the card was working when I picked up signals from another network.. after every kind of test on the Belkin helpline. they eventually conceded that my ADSL router was faulty - in spite of the fact it had every light showing! So I took it back to PC world, exchanged it, and it worked within minutes .... now I want compensation for hours of head scratching.

But thanks to everyone for their suggestions

Ask a Question