Direct connect Zyxel Wireless Modem Probs

Reaction score
I have had a failure of my Belkin Wireless Modem so have gone back to a ZYXEL one. It is fine on the wireless side but, although I can communicate with the box (therefore cable OK) I cannot access the web on the directly connected machine. It is running XP and is fully updated; any ideas please?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
So any clients connecting to it via wireless can connect to the net OK, but the one connected via cable can't? How strange...

Are you able to ping any sites from your wired PC? Click Run then type "cmd" and press enter. Then type "ping bbc.co.uk" and hit enter to see the results.

It would also be worth checking the router logs to see if anything appears in there.

Reaction score
Still not there

Thanks for the swift response! I get the message "ping request could not find host. Please check the name and try again. I am unfamiliar with the log you mention.

regards.......Chris

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've not used a Xytel Router before, but if you log in to the web-admin panel from your browser then you should be able to try some of the menu options to see if you can find the router log. I've done a quick google and it looks like it could be under the Status > Logs section.

Reaction score
I got in the router (using my laptop so I think my port is suspect on the other machine) and found "logs" There were several tabs for drop down menus and all were empty. Perhaps it is the LAN port at fault?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ah, so you can't access the web-admin page from your wired machine? I misunderstood and thought from the opening post that it worked (I can communicate with the box)?

If that's the case then I'd try getting hold of another cable and try another port :)

Reaction score
I tried to link the router again from the suspect machine....no problem so the port is working.
Regards.....Chris

Reaction score
Although the LAN port works when configuring the modem/router, I still can't access the web from that computer even though the 2 laptops are fine using wireless. This has me stumped so I might have to get a wireless dongle to circumvent the problem. Not happy!!!!!!!!! Thanks anyway for the advice.

Ask a Question