Which occupational background are you?

Which occupational background are you from?

• IT/Computing

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Finance/Management

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Service/Support

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Engineering/Science

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Medical/Government

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Student

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Other...

Votes: 15 27.3%

• Total voters

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
I am a professional customer service assistant at an upmarket shopping store...

What... i work checkouts at sainsburys...same thing
In much the same way as my dustman wears a badge that proclaims him a garbage disposal engineer... :D

It's all in the wording.

Reaction score
I have my own webhosting company (which postill mocks me on all the time) and that earns me enough monthly to cover my costs for the server etc.

I find it quite time efficient however, and to help and please other people makes you feel good about yourself.

Chris,

Reaction score
Ahem, I used to be a defence equipment consultant (some people would call it arms dealing) many years ago. Travelled the world, met interesting people and sold them kalashnikovs and howitzers. Seriously. Not proudly, but seriously. Anyway I then got involved in selling antiques and works of art to people like the Sultan of Brunei, without success. Joined a telecoms company in Sweden and set up a loyalty programme for them and was then asked to do the same in six other countries (stupid idea as each country is so different and what works in one will not automatically work in another). My last job was in digital signatures and internet payment solutions. With a CV like this I am quite obviously unemployable so am trying to write my first novel before I go bankrupt. (Posting on this board is, for me, something known as displacement activity. It means I am not writing my novel and I really should be). I am also interested in computers as everyone else on this board. I started on an Apple II Plus back in 1981 and I can't imagine life without one (a PC, not an Apple II) .

Anyway, after baring my soul I shall quite understand if no one wants to speak to me from henceforth. I could lie, but I can't alter the truth so there's no point.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Herbie,

I think more and more people would like to interact with you, atleast myself for sure.

See you around, I am sure we will bump into each other from time to time :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Herbie said:
Anyway, after baring my soul I shall quite understand if no one wants to speak to me from henceforth. I could lie, but I can't alter the truth so there's no point.
That sounds like the most varied jobs I've ever heard of, and very interesting ones too!

I really like your signature quote by the way :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Seriously. Not proudly, but seriously.

An interesting use of wording :) To earn a crust, ya gotta do, what ya gotta do :D

So what's the novel all about then?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
:D The 'new kid' always get a roasting ... Just give us the Title of the book. ;)

:thumb:

Reaction score
Wow, I was dreading the responses I might get. Thanks very much for not being judgemental.

As for the novel, IF it ever gets finished; well you're supposed to write broadly about what you know, so it involves international terrorism , nuclear suitcase bombs, etc. I guess it's what's called a thriller; the sort of stuff people read on the beach. It's definitely not a literary work but hopefully I can make it interesting enough for people to want to read it. They say your first novel is the worst because you're prone to self-doubt. When and if you get a book published, you know you can do it and the second one is that much easier. As for the title, I haven't decided that yet , but it's got to be the easiest part of the whole process.

It only occurred to me the other day that, with the march of technology, there is still one medium that remains pretty much the same. Music, films, games and software can all be downloaded for free, thus bypassing the traditional revenue routes for these products. But books still sell because there is no digital substitute. Sorry. I'm going wildly off topic on a thread to do with occupational backgrounds. Thanks sincerely for all the kind comments and I look forward to interacting with all of you.:)

Reaction score
I'm just a student lol

I do a paper round :) Asking for another round tomorrow instead of 15 pounds but i only do an hour a week so that's good ! (I have the shortest round aswell... only 10 houses!) hehe so hopefully be getting 30 pounds a week for a little bit more houses ! I need the money since beginning of last month i had 880 pounds, end of it i now have about 200 pounds and going down !!! lol So as you can see... i have spending issues ! hehe I spent over 120 pounds on itunes (ipod) just buying albums ( i sit there and think "i like that album" then i just end up buying it!) lol i bought a new graphics card, new memory, and a few games and lots of c.ds from amazon

FROM NOW ON I AM SAVING !!!

I am building computers for my friends though, so that's about 100 pounds profit each time which is ok, i make albums for people, coz i have over 7,000 songs on my pc lol All the latest albums, starting to sell items on ebay so i should be raking in the money !!! I sell livestrong bands aswell making around 40 pound profit each time aswell lol buisness at schools are easy !!!

But i just lost 90 more pounds on my new phone bill !

NEED MONEY !!! Can't wait to get a job (Know any jobs i can get at 15 ?!) lol

Reaction score
Wow Herbie - interesting life!! I'd never not talk to someone because of something they had done in the past... unless it was REALLLY bad...

I bet the travelling the world bit was fun!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hands up who thinks Belloni's avatar suits him?

lol, cracks me up :D

Man, he always laughing, kinda like a hyena on laughing gas....

Better than moaning all the time I suppose... ;)

Belloni, you be a breadhead, good luck to ya, you would be Richard Branson, hehe...

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I'm actually a carvery chef for a living, but that is far too much stress and not enough money. So, I'm also a Internet Computing Student at University of Lincoln - I hope this will give me a much better carreer.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Hands up who thinks Belloni's avatar suits him?

lol, cracks me up :D

Man, he always laughing, kinda like a hyena on laughing gas....

Better than moaning all the time I suppose... ;)

Belloni, you be a breadhead, good luck to ya, you would be Richard Branson, hehe...

Haha thanx Flops !!!

I can't help it !!! That's the way i see life !!! No point in being moody over little things !!! LIFE TO SHORT ! :p

Can i ask what a breadhead is dow ! lol Please say it's a rich guy or something ! ;) Fingers crossed !

I find my avatar is funny !!! Hence why me picked it :p You just gotta love it !

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Breadhead? Ohmigawd, showing me age, it be an old hippie expression :D

It means, loosely, somebody who's main purpose in life is to constantly make money and then hang on to it. And then make some more... ;)

Reaction score
Hehe i ain't NEVER heard that before !!! :p

Oh right ... partly true ! lol I wanna make loads of money so i can then sit back can't i ! :D

I wanna be a successful buisnesman with lots of money and gals ! ;)

Money CAN make you happy !!! Does me lol

Reaction score
IT/Computing...
Finance/Management...
Service/Support...
Engineering/Science...
Medical/Government...
Student...
Other...
All of the above... This is me, all of the above..

Ask a Question