Discussion: The US Presidential Election

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
After the success of the last topical discussion, we thought it would be interesting to have another - this time about the US Presidential elections.

We would normally avoid political discussion but we think it would be interesting to chat about this issue. If the discussion is a success then we may look to have more in the future, so let's keep it respectful and considered. Remember - you are welcome to criticise an opinion, but not the person making it.

You may have seen the recent televised debate, but if not you can watch it here if you're interested:

Points to prompt discussion:

• Who would you vote for and why?
  • What do you think the future would look like under Clinton / Trump if they won?
  • Which other candidate would you have preferred to see as nominee in place of Clinton / Trump?
  • The American public are far more polarised in their political leanings than before - why is that? How could it be improved?
  • If there was one thing you could change about the upcoming election, what would it be?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Why not have both?

838fcb7ac35b609361ab91765e7d3d8b2babfa68267dd28082f2871a9c5609d9_1.jpg

Last edited:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
... to criticise an opinion, but not the person making it.

Therein lies the rub. One of the candidates changes his (Oops! Now everyone knows who I'm talking about) opinions (rantings, really) on a daily basis. Actual facts do not seem to mean squat. Says in a dictionary that "a false statement deliberately presented as being true" is called a lie.

His entire campaign is a travesty to democracy.

And yet it is Hillary Clinton who is branded — by many a white male — as "unelectable". "Lying crooked Hillary". And Trump is seen — by his supporters — "to be shooting from the hip" or "being like a bull in a china shop". And these are meant as endorsement. Really?

"So Putin, Trump, and Erdoğan walked into a bar..."

Not funny. I am worried. Vile times.

As for the questions:

Who would you vote for and why? Clinton. Because she is sane (you know, "having or showing reason, sound judgement, or good sense" — at least (or maybe especially) by comparison to her opponent.

What do you think the future would look like under Clinton / Trump if they won? Clinton — same-o, same-o. Which appears to be a problem not only for diehard Republicans, but also for diehard Sanders supporters. They see her as yet another "establishment politician". Which she is, of course. Trump — a total and complete trainwreck both domestically and internationally.

Which other candidate would you have preferred to see as nominee in place of Clinton / Trump? In place of Trump? Where do I start? Colin Powell. John McCain... except that they are both in their eighties. Donald Duck. Daffy Duck. Yosemite Sam. The Republican Party primaries was a surreal perfomance — everyone tried to outperform each other in being detached from reality. And did a stellar job, too. As for the Democrats... "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", played by James Stewart, maybe. Except that he is a fictional charater (much like Trump, and yet fundamentally different — you know... like... "decent".)

The American public are far more polarised in their political leanings than before - why is that? How could it be improved? If there was one thing you could change about the upcoming election, what would it be? That's three questions. :p I agree with much that is said HERE. Additionally, I would do away with "open" primaries.

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I actually had a Mori Poll person on my phone last night, I was game for a laugh until she started asking me questions on this very subject.

My answers are not printable here on what I thought of 'Donald Duck' ... :)

If 'merica vote in Trump as President, they'll be making the biggest mistake that country ever made!

:fool:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I agree with much that is said HERE. Additionally, I would do away with "open" primaries.

That's an interesting article, Urmas :nod:

When watching the debate last night, I found it quite weird how Trump was so happy to openly lie about things he had said in the past. It's not like these things were said in private conversations, often they were things that he himself has published online. Take global warming, for instance. Clinton accused him of having said that GW is a Chinese conspiracy, which he denied... all you need to do is look at his past tweets. Plus there's the whole birther issue, which he clearly championed, for no other reason than racism. Bernie Sander's dad came from Poland, but you didn't see Trump asking to see his birth certificate. Bet he wishes he lived in 1984's Oceania where history could simply be rewritten depending on what suits your needs.

And don't get me started on the fact he thinks he is smart for not paying any Federal taxes :mad: How on earth is that meant to be a positive thing? How can he defend it?!

Gahhh.

That being said, I'm not a massive fan of Clinton either. The whole fiasco with her emails and deleting evidence was pretty shameful, but she has at least had experience as a senator and Secretary of State, which is better than nothing. If I was casting a vote though, she would get it, but mainly because the alternative is too dire.

If Trump doesn't get in, wouldn't it be great if someone makes a film about a post-apocalyptic future in which he had become President?! :lol:

Reaction score
I have some Facebook friends in the US and they are totally polorised by ether one or the other. The ones who own guns are for Trump and the more civilised are for Clinton. The big issue is GUNS, the gun lobby do not want any restriction of guns where as Clinton would like a greater control over guns and ownership. The NRA are backing Trump the more sane would like more control over firearms especially military weapons. Trump is a bully and cannot control his temper and thinks he is always right. My concern is if Trump wins the election put head between Knees and kiss your arse goodbye. God help the world.

Last edited:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
That being said, I'm not a massive fan of Clinton either. The whole fiasco with her emails and deleting evidence was pretty shameful, but she has at least had experience as a senator and Secretary of State, which is better than nothing. If I was casting a vote though, she would get it, but mainly because the alternative is too dire.

That pretty much sums it up.

In a perfect World, my vote'd go to Will McAvoy:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My views? I can't see how, with the vast population living in that country to choose from, they've ended up with those two idiots as a choice for President.

If I was a septic I wouldn't vote for either cos let's face it, the USA's screwed whoever wins aren't they?

I thought Bernie Sanders was actually electable, regardless of political party but the American populace in their wisdom kicked him out of the Presidential race.

Comforting thought of the day:

Donald Trump with his finger poised over the nuclear strike button.

(Explanatory note: Septic = septic tank = yank. Sorry, just can't help myself).

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
What makes Trump even more laughable is he has Nigel Farage supporting him. And lets not forget the day Trump called Katie Hopkins a " respected columnist " :lol::lol:

Edit: I have a screenshot of it, but not sure if I should or can post it.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
That's awful! :eek: He really does sound like a nasty piece of work :mad:

I read this a while ago, which is very interesting. Gives a very good idea of what he is like as a person:

Donald Trump's Ghostwriter Tells All

“I put lipstick on a pig,” he said. “I feel a deep sense of remorse that I contributed to presenting Trump in a way that brought him wider attention and made him more appealing than he is.” He went on, “I genuinely believe that if Trump wins and gets the nuclear codes there is an excellent possibility it will lead to the end of civilization.”

If he were writing “The Art of the Deal” today, Schwartz said, it would be a very different book with a very different title. Asked what he would call it, he answered, “The Sociopath.”

Reaction score
Donald Trump is dangerous God help the world if he becomes President of the USA as for Hillary Clinton she is at least a seasoned politician, I personally do not like her and would have preferred Berny Saunders, having said that all those in the Capitol seem to be controlled by big business. :confused:

Ask a Question