Which occupational background are you?

Which occupational background are you from?

• IT/Computing

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Finance/Management

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Service/Support

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Engineering/Science

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Medical/Government

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Student

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Other...

Votes: 15 27.3%

• Total voters

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I thought this would be an interesting poll and we can find out a little more about one another!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hmmm, let me see now ... I'm ALL of the above. :rolleyes:

I'm IT/Computing ... I build computers and I answer the phone.
I'm Finance/Managment ... I'm the Boss, I own the place, and, I do pay the bills.
I'm Service/Support ... I service systems and Support my own.
I'm Engineering/Science ... you have to be when you look a Linux.
I'm Medical/Government ... I've cut my hands so many times I'm my own Doctor, I'm the PM, the buck stops here.
I'm a Student ... You never stop learning.

... and you can think what you like for ... Other. :D

I voted Computing.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I should have added an "all of the above option" ;)

or even "none" in some cases I suppose!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm another awkward bugger like Mucks :D

I really don't know what to answer, I mostly work with Sound Systems. Be it maintenance, support, installation, sales or whatever, so what would that be?

I don't sell or repair computers but I have installed CCTV 'suites' in colleges where two to four cameras & microphones record to hard disk. I've built & supplied the computer to do the job there on several occasions, I usually use the Matrox bundle with the 'flying' interface.

I do me own books. No managers here, if any of the the people I use to do work for me don't shape up, I don't use them again, simple as that.

Engineering/Science? Possibly not, but sometimes some of the things I have to do within buildings, particularly when laying cable, it feels like engineering.

I am definitely not a student, last course I done was twenty years ago, Electronics, a one year course followed two years later by a year of day release. I vowed then that's the last bit of recognised learning leading to a qualification I'm ever going to take.

So, I dunno, what would that make me?

Hmmm..... (drums fingers on desk and thinks.....)

OK, I'll go with service/support as the majority of calls I get are to fix things.

Reaction score
work in IT support during the day and by night i repair and maintain pc's and on weekends i wear a pink dress, a blonde wig and....

:eek:

J

Reaction score
Well...

I am a waiter at the local golf club

BUT i also build, maintain, upgrade, repair computers for anyone that wants any of that done for free/small fees/donations...

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
IT/Computing : I did set up the networking in my office, I am also responsible for making the final decision about buying computer equipment for the entire office. When my staff has any problem they come to me.

Finance/Management: I am very much involved in running the affairs of the chemical plant producing Catalyst for the Polyester Industry and my client is Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI), fully involved in Budgeting, Human Resources Management, Production, Quality Control, Engineering and Maintenance as well as training the trainers.

Service/Support: I service my own computers, build them and maintain them. I am voluntarily providing support (buying decisions) to all my friends and well-wishers as well as company's sister concerns.

Engineering/Science: In the chemical plant we have a full fledged Maintenance Department to service and repair any equipment in case there is a breakdown (our equipment seldom breaks down due to stringent quality management system in place and proper Preventive Maintenance Schedules. The Engineer reports to me. We also have a fully equipped laboratory with sophisticated testing facilities for the analysis of the catalyst we produce. The product being liquid based metal catalyst (mainly Cobalt). The Lab Manager who has Master's in Analytical Chemistry reports to me.

Medical/Government: My wife being a doctor and since I am with her for the last 16 years, that makes me half a doctor.

Student: The last course I attended was that of Information Technology about two years back. I continue to learn things in every field on a daily basis so I am very much a full time student as well.

Others: I am a serious amateur photographer as well as an audiophile. I am a son, a husband, father, an occasional cook and a defensive driver.

:D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Where's the option indicating that I spend the majority of my time clearing up after messy men?! ;)

Just kidding, I suppose you're not all bad...

Quad; It would be nice to see more of your pics on the site, I think you're a really good photographer :)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I'm a jobless bum, currently getting ur hard earned cash through benefits (dole/new deal/ what ever).

I would like to thank you all, this money is spent wisely.

I used ot be a student, i did ICT, it was pretty cool i guess, loadsa cool people in my class. At the end of the year i passed :D.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Reefsmoka said:
I'm a jobless bum, currently getting ur hard earned cash through benefits (dole/new deal/ what ever).
I've been working in a call centre trying to get people to convert from BT to a different kind of telecom (not saying who!) and it SUCKS! I'm off sick today, but not really planning on going back after the weekend... I may be joining the rank of 'jobless bum' with you Reefsmoka ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Quad = defensive driver
... now that cracks me up. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Quad = defensive driver
... now that cracks me up. :D
Yep, hehe, he got a machine gun firing from the radiator grill and a harpoon on the roof rack :D

Fair play to jobless bums!! Get what ya can from the Goverment!!

Once you do work, they take far too much and never give ya none back!!

Anarchy in the UK!!

Oops, ahem, excuse me, got carried away there, thought I was 19 again.... ;)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Anarchy in the UK!!

Oops, ahem, excuse me, got carried away there, thought I was 19 again.... ;)
Aah, what it is to be 19... I've only got a month of it left! :eek:

Reaction score
I think i would fall under other... I do small time IT work, for a fortune 500 company that helps pay bills. But my main career would be a commercial pilot. I fly people around as is so i am one, but i am still going for other ratings; (student) Turbine here we come!!!! So I'm student also... I set up small office networks and maintain them, (Service/Support) but mainly as a friendly jesture, as i do with friends. If any of you have recieved or know someone that has gone to a flight academy knows science is a huge step, along with medical... I didnt know i would need to be a meteorologist to become a pilot(science). An engineer, because to have those ratings you must know the hows and why's of every main componet in and on the airplane; along with all ground facilities. So where would i fit in? I guess another victim of OTHER.

Reaction score
I am a professional in the study of ornothology! It is from this area where my occupational background resides from! :)
I normally work every day of the week, including Sundays and Bank holidays. I do not mind this because I am fully commited to my line of work!!!!

I guess when there is a passion for a job, there is a will to suceed! This is certainly the case for me!::)

Reaction score
Its udderly impressive of how diverse the occupations of a group of people can be... all with the same hobby of computers/electonics. it boggles the mind. ;) and gives ya somthin to think about.

Reaction score
I am a professional customer service assistant at an upmarket shopping store...

What... i work checkouts at sainsburys...same thing

Ask a Question