• Other

Votes: 6 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's been a while since the last sidebar poll, so I thought it would be interesting to see how the OS choice has changed :)

It's multiple choice for those who frequently use multiple operating systems, and I've grouped Linux in to one answer - otherwise we would be here all day listing the distros ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate here, and love it. :)

I cant tell you how nice it runs on an SSD too. :D

Reaction score
Windows 7 64bit Ultimate and loving it...And hopefully will be loving it more when I get me new drives...

Edit: Desktop and 1 laptop are running W7..They are the two I use most
Next is my MAc running Leopard Snow
Then an old Ac*r with XP
And the Dell optiplex I was given, will be running Linux as soon as I get round to doing it, that will be my second cruncher. Or third if I can be arsed to install Boinc on my Mac..

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As I mentioned in the desktop thread - 4 different Windows systems.

Win 98; Win XP Pro; Win Vista Home Premium and Win 7 Home Premium.

And I like them in order of preference, best first:

Win 7
Win XP
Win Vista
Win 98

Regularly using Win 98 will make you apreciate later Windows OS's - it's awful :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
V_R said:
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate here, and love it. :)

I cant tell you how nice it runs on an SSD too. :D

Flash sort of chap arn't you :p
laughingsmiley.gif

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Linux for everything, WinXP only for Tom Tom and Blackberry.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Which distro are you using now, Quad? It is still PuppyLinux?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Which distro are you using now, Quad? It is still PuppyLinux?

I have a triple boot system, WindowsXP, Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" and Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala".

I have a partition created exclusively for Home and it is shared by both Mint and Ubuntu which is great since when I upgrade any OS my personal files remain intact. With triple boot I can experiment with any distro without compromising my system and usability. If I am tweaking one distro the other is available for use till I have updated everything on newly installed distro. I am never in a hurry to get my system up and running as I am always having a complete distro tweaked for use. I do all of that with just a 40 GB hard disk in my IBM laptop. :D

I have puppy on a stick which comes handy for fixing other peoples systems, I also have Ubuntu Karmic Kaola on an 8 GB SDHC card used in a mobile USB card reader which works as a jump drive with my important files as a back up. Essentially as a fourth operating system ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's an interesting way to test it out - I've got an SDHC slot on my laptop which I could use to boot in to Linux, might just try that next time. I have good intentions and try out each new big release, usually Ubuntu... but I always end up going back to Windows. It's fun testing it out for a while though :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
That's an interesting way to test it out - I've got an SDHC slot on my laptop which I could use to boot in to Linux, might just try that next time.

Yes you should try it out its fast and will not hurt your system. I would suggest Linux Mint for that as Mint is fully functional out of the box for multimedia as the repositories are already available and you need not manually enable them. Linux mint is also a lot more user friendly and "Gloria" is stable as well.

I have noticed slight problems with Karmic Koala in terms of connectivity but not with Mint. The new version of Mint 8 is due any day now and I am anxiously waiting for that, at present RC1 is out there but I'd rather wait for the stable release.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
But which ones ?? :confused:

sssshhhhh you don't ask a serious Linux junkie what distro they use, Urmas is out and out Linux man, his own operating system is based on Linux :D

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Urmas is out and out Linux man, his own operating system is based on Linux :D

Code:
2.6.: still a stable kernel, but accept bigger changes leading up to it
  (timeframe: a month or two)

2..x: aim for big changes that may destabilize the kernel for several releases
  (timeframe: a year or two)

.x.x: Linus went crazy, broke absolutely _everything_, and rewrote the kernel
  to be a microkernel using a special message-passing version of Visual Basic
  (timeframe: "we expect that he will be released from the mental institution
  in a decade or two")

happywave.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
sssshhhhh you don't ask a serious Linux junkie what distro they use, Urmas is out and out Linux man, his own operating system is based on Linux :D

Ah ha he he :D your illumination and his last answer explain why he hides in a plant pot
laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Interesting poll result so far with XP easily leading the field.

Why is this?

a) People are happy with XP and can't be bothered to change.
b) Majority of PC users are not PC Gamers and don't see the need to upgrade.
c) Vista shook everybody's confidence with MS and they're reluctant & wary to change.
d) There's a recession on and folk are skint.
e) Windows users are mostly Luddites.

Intriguing :)

Reaction score
Using XP at the moment but will get Windows 7 on january 6th. Only tried it for a short while but it looks good and for our servers it seems to work far better then XP and Vista(crap). Using Citrix servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question