Where is my RAM

Geddy Lee

Hi again Group,

I just put in 2 x 512 MB RAM into my XP Pro (AMD 2500) computer. Now my
"system Properties" is telling me that I only have 448MB. What have I done
wrong? Help would be greatly appreciated

GL

Shenan Stanley

Geddy said:
I just put in 2 x 512 MB RAM into my XP Pro (AMD 2500) computer. Now
my "system Properties" is telling me that I only have 448MB. What
have I done wrong? Help would be greatly appreciated

My GOD man - Learn to crosspost! This multiple posting is getting old FAST!

Did you make sure (manuals) that your computer (hardware) could handle that
much RAM?
If you did, did you verify the type/speed?
If you did, did you verify the placement?

Geddy Lee

Yes, yes and yes.

Nobody has ever told me how to cross post and I have been at this for some
time. Every says "Crosspost". Okay....., tell me how.

GL

Shenan Stanley

Geddy said:
Yes, yes and yes.

Nobody has ever told me how to cross post and I have been at this for
some time. Every says "Crosspost". Okay....., tell me how.

How much RAM does your BIOS/post screen tell you that you have?

As for your other question (as well as the ones you keep coming back for) -
might I suggest learning to use Google?

Geddy Lee

Hi Shenan,

first of all let me say that I appreciate your help. But your attitude needs
to be put into check in regards to your comment about using Google. Do you
have any idea how little time I have to keep running back and forth to
Google for information. NONE: I am lucky that I can take a few minutes off
of work now to do this.

In regards to the BIOS question; I'll have to get back to you about that
one. I am using SANDRA and AIDA32, and they are both telling me 448MB.

I'll keep you posted here in performance_maintenance

GL

and do you realize this is a free newsgroups where people
donate what free time they have to helping you?

Shenan Stanley

Geddy said:
first of all let me say that I appreciate your help. But your
attitude needs to be put into check in regards to your comment about
using Google. Do you have any idea how little time I have to keep
running back and forth to Google for information. NONE: I am lucky
that I can take a few minutes off of work now to do this.

In regards to the BIOS question; I'll have to get back to you about
that one. I am using SANDRA and AIDA32, and they are both telling me
448MB.

I'll keep you posted here in performance_maintenance

If you have time to post all that - then you have time to Google. You type
less and read more - fair trade. heh

As far as my attitude, that's me.

You think you have little time, I manage over thousands of computers in
various cities in several domains, yet - here I am - typing to you.

As far as the information SANDRA and AIDA32 give you - it's based off what
the OS tells you.

You need to turn off the machine, turn it back on, get into the BIOS and see
how much RAM it says you have in the BIOS.

Take out one of the two memory sticks. Reboot.. Still the same and working?
Swap the stciks (still only leaving one in.) If it still works, repeat but
using another slot on the motherboard. If that all works (one at a time in
every slot giving you 512MB RAM) then there is something wrong here. Either
your motherboard will not accept the GB of RAM like you thought, the RAM is
not compatable with each other, the BIOS does need upgrading or something.

(Essentially if both sticks of RAM work individual in every slot you put
them in, logic says something is wrong with what you have been told about
the motherboard accepting that much RAM, about the RAM being compatable with
one another and/or with the BIOS being upgraded to accept this.)

Rocket J. Squirrel

I suppose you consider Shenan's time to be less valuable than yours.

Rocky

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Geddy said:
Yes, yes and yes.

Nobody has ever told me how to cross post and I have been at this for
some time. Every says "Crosspost". Okay....., tell me how.

Geddy

To send your message to multiple newsgroups on the same news server, in the
New Message dialog box, click the icon next to Newsgroups. In the Pick
Newsgroups dialog box, click one or more newsgroups from the list (hold down
the CTRL key to select multiple newsgroups), and then click Add. You can
choose from all newsgroups or only those you subscribe to by clicking Show
only subscribed newsgroups.

A much better idea is to post to only one newsgroup. Most of the regulars
here read all of the XP groups. If you aren't sure which group a question
should be posted to, select the General group.

If you only have a limited amount of time, you really need to learn how to
use the Google newsgroups search. This can give you solution to your problem
within a couple of minutes.Go to the following URL:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&newwindow=1&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp

At the top of the page, tick the radio button to "Search XP groups only".
Enter your keywords in quotation marks separated by a space, eg:

"ram" "amount" "wrong"

Then click the search button.

You will get previous newsgroup messages that have the fix you are looking
for. Click the View Thread link on these messages.