What to Choose - ForteAgent or Newshosting

Reaction score
I would like to download files from Usenet. Since I have not used Usenet for 12 years, I am not familiar with what is available nowadays, but I have read lots of reviews and have narrowed my choices.

I have an HP Pavilion desktop with Win10, Mozilla Firefox, and 12 GB RAM.

I have used ForteAgent version 4.2 along with Agent Newsnet in the past (12 years ago). I stopped using them after a couple of years because either my ISP began throttling the downloads, or maybe something else happened to decrease the download rate. My ISP has changed several times since then and is now "Spectrum.net".

My choice for a client is either ForteAgent 8 or Newshosting.
  1. Newshosting is a free news reader that is included when I sign up for one of the Newshosting Usenet access plans, but I don't know if it has as many features as ForteAgent 8.

2. ForteAgent 8 costs $29 and has a 30-day free trial period. ForteAgent 8 offers many more automation features than its version 4 (ex. automatic repair and unpack, spam message filter, etc.), but I don't know those features are matched or surpassed by Newshosting. Also, ForteAgent is not updated very often.
My choice for a news server is either Agent Newsnet or UsenetServer.
  1. Agent Newsnet is $15 monthly for unlimited downloads and its retention rate is about 11 years.
  2. UsenetServer, $100 annually for unlimited downloads, and its retention rate is also about 11 years.
One other thing - can ForteAgent work with UsenetServer access plans?

I would be thankful for any thoughts, opinions or advice someone could offer regarding these options.

Reaction score
I have heard of UseNET, don't use it!

I cant give you any information on either however I do use Ngroups.net (3000+ days) and have done now for several years.
Reasonable prices similar to above.

Reaction score
Thank you for replying.
I am trying out UsenetServer with Newshosting. It seems overly complicated. Hard to get a list of newsgroups.

Ask a Question