Microsoft's Security Essentials isn't the best antivirus program, according to Microsoft

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So I stumbled across this today, first I'd heard of it so far. I've been using MSE, and now on Win 8 Defender, for ages...... Am I going to ditch WD this weekend? Dunno, maybe...

So what are your thoughts? Time to ditch MSE/Defender? Blown out of proportion?

I still say the best AV is common sense, but for the likes of those who click blindly, would you still recommend or install MSE?

How's this for corporate transparency and honesty? Microsoft is now saying that, yeah, its built-in Security Essentials antivirus program will "always be on the bottom" of antivirus software rankings, so you should use an additional third-party program on top of it.

PC Pro reports that Microsoft has decided to turn Security Essentials into a "baseline" program and it does not intend to be the best antivirus program in the business. Instead the company is just sharing its virus tracking findings with the security industry so they can develop better antivirus programs.

Um, okay. So what does this mean for Windows users? Basically, if you want better virus and malware protection, look elsewhere than the built-in program offered by Microsoft. I'm using the free program Avast, based on reliability ratings. (Sometimes the program pops up annoying notification windows, but it isn't a system resource hog, at least, and usually unintrusive while offering peace of mind.)

Microsoft Security Essentials has been failing independent security tests for some time now, so maybe you've already jumped ship. If not, well, even Microsoft is telling you to not to rely on it.
http://www.itworld.com/consumerizat...s-isnt-best-antivirus-program-according-micro

Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows Defender on Windows 8) was once on top. Over the years, it’s slid in the test results, but Microsoft argued the tests weren’t meaningful. Now, Microsoft is advising Windows users to use a third-party antivirus instead.
This revelation comes to us from an interview Microsoft gave. Microsoft’s official website still bills MSE as offering “comprehensive malware protection” without any hint that they no longer recommend using it. Microsoft is not communicating well with its users.
Update: Microsoft has now released a statement, saying “We believe in Microsoft antimalware products and strongly recommend them to our customers, to our friends, and to our families.” Their statement unfortunately doesn’t directly address Holly Stewart’s comments or MSE’s history of worsening test scores. Given MSE’s poor scores, all the stories we’ve heard about it failing people in the real world, and Microsoft’s inconsistent communication, we still don’t feel we can recommend MSE anymore.

A Strong Start

Microsoft Security Essentials was once on top of the rankings. In 2009, AV-Comparatives.org gave it a very high score and said it was the best-performing free antivirus.
MSE was very appealing to Windows geeks like us, who quickly latched onto it. It received very good malware detection scores, was extremely speedy, and was free. Not only was it available for free — it wouldn’t hassle you and try to upsell you to paid antivirus solutions, like AVG and avast! do. MSE was a breath of fresh air — both in its interface and its speedy performance. Its test results showed it was ahead of the pack, so it was best antivirus at the time.
We’ve been recommending MSE as the free antivirus to use for years because of this. It’s included by default on Windows 8 and named “Windows Defender.” This is one of the big security improvements in Windows 8 — you have an antivirus included so every Windows user has protection. It would be nice if Windows users finally didn’t have to seek out a third-party antivirus.
http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goo...w-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/

More....
http://lifehacker.com/microsoft-admits-that-third-party-antivirus-is-more-eff-1441135677

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/securit...signed-to-be-bottom-of-the-antivirus-rankings

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Despite seeing MSE at the bottom of 'that' list, I was quite amused at how many other big names were as mediocre.

MS bought a good AV company, one of the top in it's day, seems like, as many others before, they've let it slide. Shame. :(

On the fence myself, I really don't like Avast, will probable look for some alternative, when I have more time. May try out Bitdefender. :)

oh, well that was easy enough, done! :cool:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yep, I was going to try Bitdefender free this weekend too, seems to be the one most are happy with, that or Antivir. Even Avast.

Have updated the Essential Software thread...

Reaction score
I use Bit Defender Internet Security 2014.:thumb:
Very good and would highly recommend it.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Bitdefender free running now, first impressions are good...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition has blocked a page!
Malware detected!
Access to this page has been blocked.

I understand the risks, take me there anyway

oh, well that was unexpected.

wasn't for PCReview I hasten to add. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Why would Microsoft do that?

Perhaps. just perhaps, the big boys of the AV world were getting annoyed as their sales dropped as more people use MSE, and maybe they contacted MS, held a meeting and came to a deal.

Perhaps the agreement was something like MS: 'The ten of you will pay MS a monthly retainer to publicly announce MSE is bottom of the league, thus gaining you sales. In addition, you will all provide MS with database updates free of charge which will save us staff by being able to redeploy/make redundant the MSE database team at Redmond'.

Perhaps ;)

And I gotta say I'm mildly amused by proclamtions of goodness. You don't know if an AV program is any good until you encounter a nasty or two. And even then any AV program is only going to be as good as it's database and how up to date that database is.

Which really only leaves interface, bloatware and pricing to consider when judging an AV product's worth and desirability.

Personally I like MSE's interface, also Malwarebytes, so I'll stick with what I know for now.

Reaction score
Bitdefender: Internet Security comes out well, glad i bought the latest version now!:thumb:

CSB

Reaction score
What!, Where! and When??? What have I missed?

Oh MSE. I always had a feeling it wasn't protecting my PC as I was made to believe. Microsoft would deffinately come to a deal with the big guns in the Anti Virus market as they surely must have been unhappy when people were ditching Norton, McCrappy and others.

It's all about the money. Always has been and always will be. You can say that for most businesses.

I'll be staying with MSE for a while until I hear more from you guys so I can make an informed decision on top of all this.

Take care all and wax that board well to surf safe.

Ask a Question