What makes PC Review Unique?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I have been a member of PC Review for a long time, this is one place I never abandoned, it is my home in Cyberspace, I may have been away for a while due to personal reasons but I always come back. Why? You may ask.

I compete between 9-5 and I come here just to relax. There is no competition here, every member is a contributor and is respected for his/her opinion.

I know some of the old members here better than I know my own family members. Some have shared things on PM's which cannot be out in the open. Some asked for advise, some gave great advise.

When this forum was put together, some rules were made and to this day they are the same - it was a family forum and it has stayed that way.

Each member is unique that that is what makes each thread on PC Review interesting, readable, educative, informative, humorous etc etc, I have atleast tried my best that every thread I participate in has at least one of the attributes.

Many of the visitors come for different reasons - I come here for reasons mentioned above.

Why do YOU come here?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
OH MY GEEZ! Its Quad!! good to see ya Quad!

as for ' what makes PC Review unique'?
definitly the pleasent odor. :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Quad, your eloquent views reflect my own - and, I suspect I'll not be alone in saying that :)

I am "only" in my third year here ;) but I have enjoyed my daily visits to PC Review, ever since day one, when I rather (shyly) ventured into the Forums to ask for advice :D These days, I feel "at home" too and totally comfortable when I need to ask questions. I know that advice/guidance I receive from members, will be reliable, to the best of their ability and knowledge. Can't ask for more.

It seems to me that PC Review contains just the right "mix" of elements, which serve to make this an outstanding Site: good advice, good humour and darned good mods ... and no, I'm not trying to be a "creep" or anything like that... but any Forum is only as good as its regulators, don't you think? There is enough freedom of speech here to keep things "grown-up" and interesting, with the necessary moderation which prevents heated arguments/discussions from degenerating into verbal fisticuffs.

Another unique and very positive attribute of PCR, is that it is not age discriminatory. No one is made to feel awkward, regardless of whether they are a teen, or a centenarian (as Niv would have us believe he is) ;) This is a great Site, with a really good mix of members :nod:
Long may PC Review continue to thrive. :wave:

Footnote to Ian... can you send my cheque in a plain brown envelope please...? :p :lol:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
I started out frying my Wifes PC by incorrectly inserting memory modules, and now friends and neighbours ask for all kinds of help with their PC`s , from setting up internet and getting them wireless to cleaning their HD`s and all sorts which gives me great satisfaction in doing. I even use HTML and am pretty good with Dreamweaver and thats thanks to Chris Imrie ,So if you are reading Flops and ever wondered what help you gave me m8 , its in the above somewhere.

Quads for your brilliant advice for photography that helped me choose the Nikon D50 and your tips on taking pics , and to everyone else for sharing their knowledge and precious time. It really does feel like a family that grows all the time without any pregnancies :).

Crunching gives me the most satisfaction , i really believe when the day comes i have personally and collectively with this Team helped to prolong the lives of millions of people and that day will come , so thanks to Feckit for keeping the feeling alive and kicking.

Ian for giving my 4 year old son an obsession with Aeroplanes , yes i blame you :) , he even shuts the PC down before bed and thats using the correct procedure..he is amazing

So to each and all of you and apologies to ones i have missed out as i dont have the time ,

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Rush :wave:

Reaction score
Nobody in particular said:
Better than all the rest :thumb:

Has to be one of the best IT related forums that I've signed up to :)

Is Tina Turner here somewhere:D

Reaction score
I think everyone here is friendly that makes a big difference to any society in life including an internet forum.

I wish we had more members staying instead of getting their help and leaving.

Reaction score
I could write a big essay here, but I won't bore you lot today...
But to me what mnakes PC Review unique and why I keep coming back...Hmmmmm let me see...Well obviously the advice that you get from everybody, the entertainment you get...lol , and mostly the support..And i'm not just on about support with computer related problems..There are a bunch of people on here that offer support in many other ways, and i'm thankfull for that..Its like having my own lil extended family..Albeit a cyber one...Oh and I get to bang my head without hurting it, or cracking the plaster on the walls.....
wallbash.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
wallbash.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
wallbash.gif
:p

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
What makes PC Review unique?

We're all loonies :D
Yes but is anyone certified?

But seriously i find this place to be the one thing i check daily on the internet.
Even if i'm away i still try to get on & see whats been posted.
The place is kept going by Ian's dedication & by the work of the Mods.

And it's nice to see you back Quad.:thumb:
happywave.gif

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I first stumbled across PCR almost two years ago when I had some problem with my computer. I googled the problem and one of the options that came up was a link to PCR. As it happened the PCR site did not solve my problem but I liked what I saw on the site enough to think “This looks an interesting place and might come in handy in the future.” So, I added it to my favourites list.
nod.gif

I had a few more looks at the site and then, when I found myself coming back to it regularly, I signed up as a member. A pal of mine told me that all the people on sites like PCR were geeks and usually mad. :D He was right about the madness but certainly very wrong about the geekiness. And that is one of the reasons why PCR is unique. The people on here are NOT computer nerds and nothing else but a disparate bunch of very down to earth, easy going lunatics. And these very lunatics have helped me, and I’m sure, countless thousands of others, to solve many problems, some big and complex and others very simple. No problem is ever too daft – and I’m sure I’ve asked a few – to get a simple straightforward answer. :thumb:

The nice thing here is that we can, and do, discuss not only computer based items but just about anything under the sun, from what’s on the cinema to quantum physics. You can join in or not. You can agree or disagree with anyone else and everyone is allowed an equal say. It’s nice that it’s all a bit of fun and there is almost always something of interest to read and think about. :)

And then, of course, there is the crunching. It was only through joining PCR that I became aware of the WCG programme and when I saw what it did I joined up immediately. It’s a great idea to be able to help medical research and once set up there’s nothing much else to do except check things occasionally. It simply rolls along in the background. I’m getting to sound like feckit and was tempted to use his trick of providing a link to crunching under slightly false pretences. :p So, come on all you members who are not crunching, it takes only a few minutes to get it going and you don’t have to leave your equipment switched on all day. Every little helps.

God, I went on a bit didn't I?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
feckit said:
I can see my position as CEO of Advertising WCG here at PCreview could be under threat!:p

Not from me it isn't. ;)

It's all yours feckit. :thumb: And you're welcome, especially as you do such a good undercover job. :p

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Reading this thread has put such a smile on my face :D

I really do belive that we have one of the friendliest and most helpful forums around, where anyone is welcome (apart from spammers ;)) - and that is all because of the fantastic members and mods that make up this site :nod:

Ask a Question