What is best compression?

Reaction score
I have been scanning my old negatives in Canon Canoscan 8800F, then saving them in Photoshop Elements 5 with the Image Options in the JPEG Options dialog set to 12 Maximum.

However, I have read that saving at this setting increases the file size and that the setting should be 10 - still on Maximum. I have tried this and it cuts the file size by approximately two thirds and I can't see any degradation in the image. Is there any reason for not saving at this amount of compression?

Hope someone can advise me

Regards

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If you're happy with the result at x 10 then stick with it.

I think it's resolution you're referring to there, not compression, but I may be wrong.

The lower the number you use, incidentally, usually the quicker the scan.

Reaction score
It's not a question of if I'm happy with it stick with it. Am I going to find out - after saving a thousand images at this lower compression - that there is a reason I should have used the higher compression? That's why I put the query in the forum.

I think you are a bit confused about this. I'm referring to saving the image AFTER scanning, so it is the compression
that I'm talking about; not the resolution.

Here again, the scan has already been done. The lower number refers to the compression on saving in JPEG.

Thanks for replying anyway

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you have tried the higher compression and are happy with it and it lowers the file size, then there's no reason not to use it. The resolution will remain the same, but the JPEG will have slightly more artifacting.

If there is no (noticeable) difference in quality, then you might as well save some space. :)

Reaction score
the amount of compression has a direct result on quality,. having no compression is an option if you save it as a tiff file,. takes a lot more disk space though

question is really about a choice of how you would use the files / space to store them etc,. personally I'd say jpeg 10 is often all you need,. it's unlikely you would ever see any real difference,. but others might say you should save them with no compression as tiffs - to each their own

Reaction score
I think I'll stay on the safe side and save in the larger JPEG files. At least I won't curse myself if I use the higher

compression then at some time in the future find that the artifacts show.

Thanks for replying

Ask a Question