From: "Shawn" <>
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.scanners
Sent: Saturday, May 28, 2005 9:12 PM
Subject: Omnipage 14 & image compression

In Omnipage 14 Pro, does anyone know of a way to always use image
compression such as JPEG when saving any OCR'ed documents? When I try to
save to .doc for example it currrently generates a large >1mb file.
Using HTML 4.0 compresses the images but it generates an additional
directory which I find awkward. PDF works but the compression is not a
lot and the document is no longer readily modifiable. Tips are welcome,
thanks.
Shawn

Shawn,
You have your apples and oranges confused.
Images and "OCR'ed documents" are two entirely different things.
For simplicity's sake "OCR'ed documents" are basically text in which each
character has been recognized by the software.
Why on earth "any of us" would make the effort to OCR and then save it as
an image is puzzling.
The only possible exception might be a form.

Shawn

lostinspace said:
The only possible exception might be a form.

It may not be basic OCR, but I wish to preserve the original format of a page
including graphics, and making the texts selectable through the OCR process.

At the moment HTML works in the software though I resave into .mht which is
cleaner for single pages.