Yellow cast in scanned negatives

Reaction score
I have been scanning my 25-30 year old negatives with Canon 8800F scanner and archiving them in my computer but I find that many of the images have a yellow cast, no doubt due to age or chemical reaction. I use 'Remove Color Cast' in PhotoShop Elements 5.0 but it is only occasionally successful and then I have to keep clicking on various parts of the image until it sometimes works. When it does work it often leaves a blue tinge. Using 'Fading Correction' in the scanner software does not help. I've got hundreds of films to scan and it is very laborious editing every image. Has any body else had this problem and got round it?

Reaction score
raycer said:
I have been scanning my 25-30 year old negatives with Canon 8800F scanner and archiving them in my computer but I find that many of the images have a yellow cast, no doubt due to age or chemical reaction. I use 'Remove Color Cast' in PhotoShop Elements 5.0 but it is only occasionally successful and then I have to keep clicking on various parts of the image until it sometimes works. When it does work it often leaves a blue tinge. Using 'Fading Correction' in the scanner software does not help. I've got hundreds of films to scan and it is very laborious editing every image. Has any body else had this problem and got round it?

I'm only 37 so doubt I have negatives that old...:lol: :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've scanned lots of 35mm negatives, both colour and black and white, as old as and older than those.

I don't have that problem, I'm using an Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner, which has an adapter to take strips of negs. Link.

The few times I have come across discolouring I use Photoshop 7's 'Auto Adjust' feature in the image menu.

I'm afraid I don't have an easy answer for you but thought I'd let you know of my experience in that area.

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
I'm only 37 so doubt I have negatives that old...
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Ha! Ha! Very droll.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I've scanned lots of 35mm negatives, both colour and black and white, as old as and older than those.

I don't have that problem, I'm using an Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner, which has an adapter to take strips of negs. Link.

The few times I have come across discolouring I use Photoshop 7's 'Auto Adjust' feature in the image menu.

I'm afraid I don't have an easy answer for you but thought I'd let you know of my experience in that area.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. My Canon 8800F comes with a holder for scanning two negative strips at a time. 'Smart Fix' in Photoshop Elements sometimes works like magic with one click, as does 'Remove Color Cast' occasionally but most of the time they have no effect. Of course, this means I have to keep trying these fixes and others everytime I scan a neg with a yellow cast. I recently scanned my last film before going digital and it is fine. Somewhere along the line between my early films and the last the discolouration will disappear. Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It may depend on how your negs have been stored of course. Mine are all in proper file strips within envelopes shaded from light. If your negatives have been stored in a situation less than ideal it's possible there's little you can do apart from some lengthy (and no doubt irritating) correction processes.

A great deal of mine date from 69 - 73 and in that period I worked as a reporter/photographer for the local paper and developed all my own stuff in their darkroom. This meant they were developed properly and thoroughly rinsed and dried before storage in quality neg strip folders.

Where they remained until all these years later, was quite odd seeing all that lot again :eek:

Anyways, I'm waffling, hopefully somebody else may be along to offer some sound advice.

Have you tried any dedicated photography forums?

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
It may depend on how your negs have been stored of course. Mine are all in proper file strips within envelopes shaded from light. If your negatives have been stored in a situation less than ideal it's possible there's little you can do apart from some lengthy (and no doubt irritating) correction processes.

A great deal of mine date from 69 - 73 and in that period I worked as a reporter/photographer for the local paper and developed all my own stuff in their darkroom. This meant they were developed properly and thoroughly rinsed and dried before storage in quality neg strip folders.

Where they remained until all these years later, was quite odd seeing all that lot again :eek:

Anyways, I'm waffling, hopefully somebody else may be along to offer some sound advice.

Have you tried any dedicated photography forums?

No, your comments have been interesting. My negs have been stored in the correct strip envelopes. I used to do black and white developing and printing years ago but when colour photography became popular the process was too involved for me. The high street processors were rubbish so I used photographic labs but I was often disappointed with the results and sent them back for reprinting. I now have more reason to be dissatisfied as the yellow cast in the films could be due to them using depleted chemicals or not rinsing properly. Digital photography is the greatest thing since sliced bread! Can you recommend any photographic forums?

Ask a Question