Well I have gone and done it

Reaction score
:DI am now a Penguin user officially, I have downloaded Linux Mint 7.1 64 bit Cinnamon LTS and everything seems OK. Now it will be the learning curve. I have removed the drive I had Windows on and therefore less likely to boot that should I get flummoxed over something. My next thing is to set up my email and Facebook accounts and then download my music:thumb:. Any advice will be much appreciated. P.S spell checker works well :nod:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good work bootneck :).

What are your thoughts of it so far?

Reaction score
So far still a bit of exploring to do as more different to Windows than I expected, But it keeps me occupied and what I have mastered I quite like. Well Mr mucks I only have a No 1 hair cut and also thinning so there is not much to pull out. Not brave really IMHO niv Microsoft will do something with W 10 as they have done with Office 365 and users will end up with a annual charge and I am not paying that so I would rather bite the bullet now and attempt to find an alternative OS and get used to it before that time comes, and have the time to try alternatives. I have tried Zorin but kept on falling back on Windows as it was dual booted, what I have done now is to remove the drive with W 8.1 on and only got the drive with Mint on the PC so it is more difficult to revert to windows. I have also have on DVD OpenSuse 13.2, Ubuntu 15.04, SimplyMEPIS 11.0 and PCLinuxOS 2014.12 to try if I do not get on with Mint.

Reaction score
You're the trail blazer for the rest of Bootneck.
See it as a covert hush hush commando exercise, that you will complete!

Reaction score
The yomp came to a crashing halt this morning, the dam thing crashed, my fault I think as I did not do a update download. But now back on the run as reinstalled and the first thing I did was to update so at the moment all AOK but keep fingers crossed:user::lol::nod:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well done for finally biting the bullet.

Strange it should have crashed, I've been running Mint 17 since it was released (must be 8 months at a guess) and it's never crashed on me. I'm using a 4 year old AMD quad core system with it.

Thinking about it though it has frozen on me once or twice, when browsing the web if I recall correctly. But generally speaking very stable. More stable than Win 7 in fact.

Good luck :)

Reaction score
I have given up with it for the time being as mine crashed as well, I reinstalled it and immediately updated it ran it for a couple of days but found there were things I missed in W 8.1, also it ran slower than W8.1.:cry:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
oh ye of faint heart...... :(

Just sign in blood on the dotted line right here and make it payable to the devil spawn of William Gates Esq.

Ask a Question