Installing Mint Cinnamon 18 64bit on a separate drive

Reaction score
Hi Uncle Urmas, can I delve deeply Into your mind. I have decided to install Linux 18 Cinnamon onto my PC as this is a long term Distro until 2021. At the moment I am running Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3 64bit on a 1500 hard drive but intend to keep that as if it all goes pair shaped I can re install it with no trouble at all.
Now I intend to install Mint Cinnamon 18 64bit on a spare disc a Seagate desktop SSHD 2000GB what advice can you give me or what should I look out for? Any help or advice would be most welcome.:nod::nod::nod: I am sorry to hear you are not feeling too good health wise and will understand if you should not being able to help I will understand:user::D

If the Mods feel this should be on another Topic please change too the correct topic.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm using Windows 10 and Mint 18 Cinnamon 64 Bit on my main machine and using two separate hard drives, one for each operating system.

However, I'm using a hard disk caddy (one of These ) and physically swapping hard disks each time I change OS.

The BIOS on this system is the newest type and boots from the BIOS rather than the mbr (master boot record) so I don't have to change boot options each time I change disks but on older systems you may have to do that which would mean entering the BIOS at start and selecting the hard disk you boot from.

I believe you can also use this option by installing both disks internally with an older BIOS, as I recall Abarbarian posted a guide some time ago for this method.

The most common way, though, is to do a dual install where you'd use Mint's install sequence to choose the hard disk to install Mint to which would then rewrite the mbr so it would just be a case of selecting an OS on boot from a menu.

I haven't done a dual install of that nature for some years now so I'm sorry but I can't offer any advice if that's the option you prefer, but good luck with your install.

Ask a Question