Weird problem with Windows Messenger 5.0

Dmitry Korolyov [MVP]

Windows Messenger 5.0 (localized version) was installed through GP on a
number of workstations. The computers are W2k Pro SP3 and above, and WinXP
Pro SP1. Previously, Windows Messenger 4.6 and 4.7 (also localized versions)
was installed on these computers. Install through GP succeeded, upgrading
previious version, but we have one problem.

The problem is, when you try to search for contacts in Windows MEssenger
5.0, you always see "Done" button where you should see "Next", and the
button is randomly shaded. The button and search itself work, its just a
visual glitch caused probably by some dll problem during upgrade. Any ideas?

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for your posting here.

I would like to confirm the following information with you.

1. What is the localized version of your Windows Messenger 5.0?
2. Does the problem occur on all the clients?

Would you please paste the screen captures of the wizard with problem and
another one without problem into your post? We will do more research on
this issue.

Thank you!

Regards,
Bob Qin
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

Dmitry Korolyov [MVP]

1. Localized version is Russian. It was version 4.7 Russian, and then it was
upgraded to 5.0 Russian through GP (computer assigned)
2. The problem has been confirmed on about 9 randomly choosen workstations;
we did not check others, but had user reports of "being unable to find
contacts" and "problems with finding contacts", so I guess it's
representative.

I will post the screen captures tomorrow.

--
Dmitry Korolyov [[email protected]]
MVP: Windows Server - Active Directory

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for your posting here.

I would like to confirm the following information with you.

1. What is the localized version of your Windows Messenger 5.0?
2. Does the problem occur on all the clients?

Would you please paste the screen captures of the wizard with problem and
another one without problem into your post? We will do more research on
this issue.

Thank you!

Regards,
Bob Qin
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

rights.

Bob Qin [MSFT]

You can send to (e-mail address removed).

Thank you,

Regards,
Bob Qin
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi Dmitry,

I have got the screen captures.

Would you please let me know the detailed version of your Windows Messenger?
Does the problem still occur, if you install it locally?
Do you have any client that messenger works properly?

If there are some computers without this problem, please check the comctl32
file on each client. any different?

Did you try the version of 5.0.0482?

As I know, such similar problem ever occurred in the aged version of
Windows Messenger. I recommended that you try the latest version and check
the result.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Bob Qin
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi Dmitry,

How are things going? If there is any update, please let me know.

Thank you for using our Newsgroup.

From: "Dmitry Korolyov [MVP]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Weird problem with Windows Messenger 5.0
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 16:31:36 +0400

[...]