Way to make comments in folders?

P

Pete

I know how to add comments to a file listing--is there a
way to add comments to a folder? I have many folders for
my photography files and would like to be able to add a
comment rather than renaming the folder. Is this possible?

Thank you....

K

Keith Miller

You can add comments to a folder that will be viewed a balloon tip when the mouse cursor hovers over
them but not that will show in the comments column of a detailed explorer view (like control panel
does....wish I knew how that worked!!!)

The comments are stored in a desktop.ini file in the folder. The folder needs to have it's
read-only attribute set so the OS will know to parse the desktop.ini file (this will not affect
reading & writing to the folder). The easiest way to create a desktop.ini file and set the folder
attribute is to use the 'Customize' tab in the folder properties dialog to assign a custom icon.
Once you have done this, double-click the desktop.ini file to open it for editing (you will need to
have explorer set to both "Show Hidden files" and NOT "Hide protected OS files"). The file will
look like this:

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
IconIndex=12

Add a line similar to the following:

InfoTip=Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.

After saving the edited file, your folder will now have a custom balloon tip. You can restore the
default icon by deleting the 'IconFile' and 'IconIndex' lines; your comment will be retained.

Keith

T

Toby

Is there a way to edit the balloon information for individual files in
a folder ? I know there are programs that allow information to be
attached to a file or folder but the "mouseover" idea appeals to me.

Toby
You can add comments to a folder that will be viewed a balloon tip when the mouse cursor hovers over
them but not that will show in the comments column of a detailed explorer view (like control panel

The comments are stored in a desktop.ini file in the folder. The folder needs to have it's
read-only attribute set so the OS will know to parse the desktop.ini file (this will not affect
reading & writing to the folder). The easiest way to create a desktop.ini file and set the folder
attribute is to use the 'Customize' tab in the folder properties dialog to assign a custom icon.
Once you have done this, double-click the desktop.ini file to open it for editing (you will need to
have explorer set to both "Show Hidden files" and NOT "Hide protected OS files"). The file will
look like this:

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconIndex=12

After saving the edited file, your folder will now have a custom balloon tip. You can restore the
default icon by deleting the 'IconFile' and 'IconIndex' lines; your comment will be retained.

Keith

Pete said:

Thank you....

K

Keith Miller

If the file properties dialog has a 'summary' tab, the comments should be included with the balloon
tip info. If not, check your values here:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*

Check the data for 'InfoTip', it should be:

prop:Type;DocAuthor;DocTitle;DocSubject;DocComments;Write;Size

Keith

Toby said:
Is there a way to edit the balloon information for individual files in
a folder ? I know there are programs that allow information to be
attached to a file or folder but the "mouseover" idea appeals to me.

Toby

look like this:

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconIndex=12

Keith

Pete said:

Thank you....

P

pehrsvensson

-----Original Message-----

Thank you....
.i have troubels with my screen , and cant restor
previus XP-set up. Help.please

Ask a Question