Virus?!? System shuts down straight away!

Reaction score
hi everyone

I have a problem with my PC, well, i think its a virus, im 99% sure actually, a week or 2 ago i heard of this bad virus that shuts ur computer down the minute u start it up........well, yesterday i went to start the pc and just b4 it gets into windows it just goes to the shutdown screen and turns off!!!, i thought the virus i heard of was called 'Sasser', so i downloaded a fix for it on the inet, put it on a floppy disk and tryed it.......it didnt detect the virus at all, so, just wonderin anyone had the same problem or know the name of the virus(or whatever) that is causin this to happen, its really pissin me off, i can get into windows in safe mode but i dont have cd-rom support to install an anti-virus scanner, and i cant log onto the inet in safe mode either which sucks, if anyone knows the name of this virus, or any way around it (im totally stumped), please feel free to email me, lol, (e-mail address removed) ......... ooooo and i cant even load windows wit a startup disk, this aint due to the virus, its alwayz been that way for some reason, gets to 'scanning pci bus using mechanism #2' and just stops, dunno what that means, but no matter, thats not the problem, but it would be handy if i could just get cd-rom support even in safe mode or onto the inet in safe mode to get a virus scanner.......

Thanks in Advance

Eamonn

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I don't think you have a virus, but I won't rule it out yet.

When you press F8 to start in 'safe mode' do you see "last known good configuration"? try it.

More information on you PC would help ... name of PC? (comcrap, crapard bell, hewlet crapard) and whats inside it? Do you have a "real" copy of your OS?

Reaction score
no, when i press f8 to start in safe mode i dont see that option.....my pc config (well, i only know general summary) :-

Advent PC Model : 3058, AMD Athlon 1ghz, 384mb Ram, 120gb HDD, GeForce 2 Mx440 64mb (*i think), win98 second edition (yes, a REAL copy)

Man what a shit problem i have, if i had any other prob that i could at least get into windows at all that would be ok, but i cant, it just loads up straight to the shutdown screen bascially!, arghhh, ive been thinkin about buyin a new PC for a while now, but, it would still be nice to have my other one back operational, not to mention have all my files back that ill lose if i cant fix it!

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ah, Win 98 ... no, you don't have "last known good configuration" ... sorry been using XP for too long now.

However, as you can get to safe mode tells me it’s a possible problem with a corrupt driver or windows file.

Try a "dirty install" (install windows over itself), don't worry, you won't lose any data.

To install windows over itself boot the computer with a bootdisk (Win 98 makes the best boot disk) and choose
cdrom support. At the a:\> prompt type: e:\setup and enter, where e: is your cdrom drive letter. It may be different depending on the bootdisk you use. Choose to install in the original Windows directory, don't choose any other directory. The rest of the installation should continue normally. Remember, you'll have to re-apply any OS updates again. Most if not all your programs should also still work. If not, just re-install them.

Now, if that does work, get your data off the system ASAP. ;)

I would then, as its Win 98, start again and do a clean install ... let me know.

Reaction score
seems a bit extreme to me.

i'd be inclined to check msconfig for any suspicious entries failing that use a boot disk (win98 cd) and try "scanreg/restore" this will enable you to restore your registry back to a time when it worked, (much the same as last good known config).

failing the above follow on with what mucks said.

Techy

Reaction score
Thanks you both of you for ur help :), im now back on my own pc and its workin great!!! wooohoooo, im not a total noob when it comes to pcs so i did check msconfig and untick the things not needed but it still didnt do the trick, i never heard of that scanreg before, so i decided i may as well try that, and it worked first time!, just went into dos, typed 'scanreg.exe /restore', restored from 5 dayz ago and its all up and runnin, still dunno what caused the problem, but hey, its all good now, thanks for the info :)................now my next problem, u know how to make a crap 56k connection run like a 1mb adsl one???!!??, haha, na, im kiddin (or not if u can!), thanks again :).

muckshifter

Reaction score
Thanks Techy, long time since I played with 98 (technically 80 years LoL), damed if I could remember scanreg. :D

Glad you tried it out first SuperTeD.

Ask a Question