Victory!: how to repair, or to re-launch or to re-install Win Installer service: Victory !!

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 MSI' started by quick35, May 13, 2004.

  1. quick35

    quick35 Guest

    Hello Phil,
    Great: I was successful; I will sleep very well this night, and tomorrow:
    operation back-up !!
    What I did:
    in the windows of the Windows Installer Service, I enable in the sidebar
    connexion (general, connexion, recuperation, dependance) an account: my
    "Administrator" account and not on "local system account", and, wonderful, I
    was finally able to launch the Windows Installer service ! last but not
    least !(before, it was said:"impossible to run the "windows installer"
    service on the local computer; error 5: acces denied ! (in French indeed, I
    translated!)

    I don't know if it was necessary but before that, on all msi files (msi.dll,
    msihnd.dll, msiexec.exe, msisip.dll), I gave the rights to my
    "Administrator" account too.

    This fact is a mystery because (I checked it) the Windows Installer Service
    is the only one which give not the permission to the "local system account"
    to be able to be launched.

    So, thank you for your help !

    a satisfied French user!

    Alain Foucal

    quick35, May 13, 2004

  2. quick35

    Phil Wilson Guest

    There have been issues in this area related to the SYSTEM account not having
    access to the drive. This tip was posted by Carolyn Napier of MS:

    One thing to verify is that NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM has full control on the C
    drive.
    Try running "cacls.exe c:\" from a command prompt. You should at least see
    something that includes the following:

    C:\>cacls c:\
    c:\ BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F
    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F

    --
    Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
    ----

    Phil Wilson, May 14, 2004

  3. quick35

    quick35 Guest

    Hi Phil,
    Truly, I have that with cacls.exe:
    "the name of my computer"\Administrateur:(OI)(CI)F
    <Domaine du compte introuvable>(OI)(CI)R
    I translate "Domaine du compte introuvable" with: account domain not found.
    What does it mean: OI, CI and F ?
    How can I restore the localSystem in its rights,
    Thanks,
    alain Foucal

    quick35, May 16, 2004
  4. Run "cacls.exe /?" for information on what they mean and additional command line
    syntax information.

    F = Full Control
    OI = Object Inherit
    CI = Container Inherit

    For example,

    "cacls c:\security" will list the ACLs for the folder c:\security
    "cacls c:\security /E /T /P SYSTEM:F" will edit the existing ACL (E) for
    c:\security and all subdirectories (T) replacing (P) SYSTEM's current
    permissions with full control (F).

    Additionally information on a similar untility (xcacls.exe) can be found at <
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318754 >.

    You can also set security permissions through Explorer which may be easier to
    use due to the graphical user interface. Simply right-click on the folder you
    want to adjust permissions for and then select "Sharing and Security". Click on
    the "Security" tab to make changes. You may need to use the Advanced options in
    some circumstances.

    Hope this helps,
    - Carolyn Napier
    Microsoft Windows Installer Team

    purposes only.

    MSI FAQ:
    <http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/community/centers/management/msi_faq.mspx>

    Carolyn Napier [MSFT], May 22, 2004
  5. quick35

    quick35 Guest

    Hello,
    I did what you've indicated to restore the rights of my localsystem, and all
    is all right.
    Thank you
    Alain Foucal

    "Carolyn Napier [MSFT]" <> a écrit dans le
    message de news:...
    > Run "cacls.exe /?" for information on what they mean and additional

    command line
    > syntax information.
    >
    > F = Full Control
    > OI = Object Inherit
    > CI = Container Inherit
    >
    > For example,
    >
    > "cacls c:\security" will list the ACLs for the folder c:\security
    > "cacls c:\security /E /T /P SYSTEM:F" will edit the existing ACL (E) for
    > c:\security and all subdirectories (T) replacing (P) SYSTEM's current
    > permissions with full control (F).
    >
    > Additionally information on a similar untility (xcacls.exe) can be found

    at <
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318754 >.
    >
    > You can also set security permissions through Explorer which may be easier

    > use due to the graphical user interface. Simply right-click on the folder

    you
    > want to adjust permissions for and then select "Sharing and Security".

    Click on
    > the "Security" tab to make changes. You may need to use the Advanced

    options in
    > some circumstances.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > - Carolyn Napier
    > Microsoft Windows Installer Team

    rights.
    > Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for

    newsgroup

    quick35, May 23, 2004