URL Address tool bar

Hi-

I used to be able to type in an internet address in the address bar without
"http://" and it would go to the site. I was also able to type in a few
letters and it would show addresses that started with those letters.

Please advise what setting controls this? IE 6.0.2900 with SP2

THANKS for the help, however it did not solve my problem...

Cleared out the things from the site you recommended and rebooted. I am
using Search and Destroy Spybot, MS Beta Anti-Spyware, Symantec Antivirus
Corporate Edition and Hi-Jack this if that helps...

Ctrl + Enter no longer adds www and .com

Using Regedit, browse to the following registry key and make sure the noted
setting is correct:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoCo
mplete]
"Append Completion"="yes"
You will also see the following values:

"Use AutoComplete"="yes"
"AutoSuggest"="no"

My Autosuggest says yes? I didn't want to change it right there because when
I went to modify data it has y.e.s. .. . or some thing like that, not just a
simple word.

Could this be my problem?

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
First... Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> put a check by "Use inline
AutoComplete."
then (if necessary) see
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/answers_5.htm#append

Step 3 would have been http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/RepairDefaultPrefix.reg
But you tried that ;-)

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

maryland_mark said:
Hi-

I used to be able to type in an internet address in the address bar without
"http://" and it would go to the site. I was also able to type in a few
letters and it would show addresses that started with those letters.

Please advise what setting controls this? IE 6.0.2900 with SP2

Tad bit more info-

When I type in "http://www.site-name.com" the site pops right up, when I
type in "site-name.com" it takes about a minute and then pops up. As soon as
I type in the "s" in "site-name" the URL toolbar used to drop down to show
every thing in my history that started with "s".

THANKS in advance for any help you can provide...

maryland_mark said:
Hi-

I used to be able to type in an internet address in the address bar without
"http://" and it would go to the site. I was also able to type in a few
letters and it would show addresses that started with those letters.

Please advise what setting controls this? IE 6.0.2900 with SP2

Don Varnau

Hi,
When you right-clicked the value "AutoSuggest" you chose Modify Binary Data-
not Modify. Just choose Modify.

Also, the additional autocomplete info makes me think that the History
folder may be corrupted.

Try deleting the History *folder* for the affected user account. Make sure
that you can see hidden files (Folder Options> View) Then login as another
user with administrator privileges, or from the machine's default
administrator account (startup in safe mode) and delete the affected History
folder from Windows Explorer. It will be at [C:\Documents and
Settings\username\Local Settings\History]

You would not be able to delete this folder when logged in as
yourself- it's "In use." You should be able to delete it from the
Administrator account.

After deleting the History folder, restart, then go to Internet Options>
Content> Autocomplete and verify that autocomplete is checked. Verify that
Inline
Autocomplete is still checked.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

maryland_mark said:
Ctrl + Enter no longer adds www and .com

Using Regedit, browse to the following registry key and make sure the
noted setting is correct:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoCo
mplete]
"Append Completion"="yes"
You will also see the following values:

"Use AutoComplete"="yes"
"AutoSuggest"="no"

My Autosuggest says yes? I didn't want to change it right there because when
I went to modify data it has y.e.s. .. . or some thing like that, not
just a simple word.

Could this be my problem?

Once again thank your for your time!

GGGRRR!

I "modified" "AutoSuggest" to "no"...

I am unable to delete the "History" file because it says it is a Windows
System Folder and Windows can't run without it.....

I also noticed when I am using explorer to look through my files it has to
search a while when I click "My Computer".

I downloaded http://www.ccleaner.com/ to see if that help it and says it
cleaned up 200 things "wrong" but still having issues...

THANKS AGAIN!

Thanks again for your time!

:
First... Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> put a check by "Use inline
AutoComplete."
then (if necessary) see
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/answers_5.htm#append

Step 3 would have been http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/RepairDefaultPrefix.reg
But you tried that ;-)
"maryland_mark" wrote in
message
I used to be able to type in an internet address in the address bar
without
"http://" and it would go to the site. I was also able to type in a few
letters and it would show addresses that started with those letters.

Please advise what setting controls this? IE 6.0.2900 with SP2

Don Varnau

Hi,
I'm not sure why the History folder wouldn't delete from Safe
Mode-Administrator login. You might try running Free History Eraser:
http://smartprotector.com/eraser/free-history-eraser.htm from the user
account that's having the problem.

Also, XP's search *can* be slow. That's a common complaint. ;-)

Don
[MS MVP- IE]