Upgraded Motherborad won't boot - HELP!!!

Reaction score
Hope someone can help me.

I've just upgraded my MB + CPU (ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe + AMD 3000).

I don't know if I have a power supply unit problem / an operating system problem or an instalation problem.

The LED on the moterboard lights up ok.

When I push the power on button I have varying degrees of progress before the system crashes.

Initially I see details of the Graphics card and Driver version etc. (is this confirmation that I have set up my hard drive correctly and windows XP is there??)

It then goes to an ASUS screen with instructions to TAB for POST and F2 for BIOS UPDATE.

Neither of these work, this screen then goes and I'm taken to a screen for setting RAID (F4).

At this point it usually crashes.

Sometimes! I can get into the BIOS (I set the time, and enabled AGP card not onboard) but nothing else.

F10 Save and Exit didn't boot any further but crashed.

A couple of times I've seen the screen that flashes upwith all the PCI details and I think IRQ allocations, but won't boot any further.

Once I got to the Start Windows in Safe mode / Normal mode etc. I elected Safe Mode, it listed a load of windows files but then crashed.

As you will appreciate I'm frustrated.

Can't tell if the operating system (XP, which is on my Hard Drive) is recognised but can't boot from the CD to re-load and haven't been able to change the BIOS to boot from CD.

The manual suggests a minimum 300W PSU or 350W for a fully configured system. and says problems booting may be experienced.

I have a Jeantech HPC-300-202

http://www.jeantech.com/Products/Power_Supply/300W/300w.html

How do I know if it's just that I need a bigger PSU? I've disconnected all external devioces (sound blaster card, webcam, usb broadband, cd writer) to reduce consumption, but no improvement.

If anyone thinks they can help but need more info please let me know (with instructions on where / how I can get the info)

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Last edited:
Reaction score
won't make any difference at this point.

scouse,

remove all non essential hardware including optical drives and hard drives and just leave mobo, RAM, CPU, graphics.

try again.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'm afraid today’s equipment needs a 'bit-o-power' and a 300 is cutting it a bit fine.

I've been using the same case in my business for a couple of years now ... just so as my customers may recognise my systems ... and I've seen the PSU change from 300 to 350 and now a 400. Yes its just a 'generic' PSU but it shows me that this particular case manufacturer is keeping up with the time. We don't want 300s anymore and they know this.

It will not be a waist of money to invest in a decent CPU, you'll benefit in the long run. Pick a 450-500 and do yourself a favour.

Do as Techy sugested first.

:thumb:

Reaction score
Tried booting with just essential hardware - CPU, Graphics card (no cd rom or sound card) no real noticeable improvement.

By the way I'm using my original HD (which has my OS on it Windows XP)

On a few occassions I actualy get as far as the start in safe mode option.

I've tried starting in Safe Mode and Prompt mode and I see a load of system files load (does this confirm that my Hard Drive is being accessed?

Next I get this Blue "Stop Error Screen"

0x0000007B (0xF8A0D528 0x0000034 0x00000000 0x00000000

The following link explains the error but it's all double dutch to me (hope one of you can help).

It refers to the Hard Drive being inaccessible. I've checked that it is correctly configured in the BIOS and all seems ok there.

What's equally strange is that the after a short time in this screen or any other for that matter (e.g. even in the BIOS) the system just switches off and powers down.

I'm beginning to wonder if I have both a booting problem (because I'm using an old hard drive) and a power issue (could it just keep crashing at the same point like that?) or an AGP conflict of some sort.

All that said I'm really getting out of my depth here.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_xlxv.asp

Finally even setting the BIOS to boot from CD and having the XP disc in doesn't allow me to install / repair windows as I'd expect.

Impatiently awaiting your suggestions.

PS: if it involves running something like a DOS prompt or bootable floppy, could you please give instructions for a novice and assume I don't understand what you're on a bout.

Scouse Pete

muckshifter

Reaction score
You can't just bung an 'old' HD with XP on it with a NEW MB ... it WILL go belly-up.

Sorry, but disconnect the HD and see if you can boot ... expect to see "no system disk" or another non-boot error ... then reboot into the BIOS and check your settings, especially any section dealing with the "shutdown CPU if too hot thingie", you should also check what the CPU temps are doing.

You will loose all your data because you need to do a "clean install" of XP booting from the XP CD.

Let us know.

:)

Reaction score
pete,

if you set the cdrom to be the first boot device in bios, then will it boot from the xp cd everytime?

looking for some consistancy.

(don't forget to reconnect the cd-rom ;))

j

Reaction score
hey pete i had the exact same problem with my old two hard drives, in the end i gave up and took it to a repair shop, all that i know they did was mess about with the wires, faff around with the jumpers on the hard drives, make sure the master is on master, and the other is slave, and (which may be your problem) backed up my HDD and formatted it completely.

Reaction score
Ok, the saga continues...

If I disconnect HD I get no further than the ASUS screen then the system crashes (no blue screen)

With HD connected I get the saf disc option the Windows system files scroll down the screen and the I get the Blue screen error report above.

I'm certain which is the master and slave and have tried booting from the original master and disconnectin that and tryiong to prompt a fresh install on the slave which doesn't have an OS on it.

Does the link above about the 0x0000007B screen mean anything to anyone?

Thanks

Refuses to boot from CD

Reaction score
Thanks for the help so far.

Muckshifter, I can (sometimes) get into the BIOS, if it doesn't shut down first.

I then have between 30 seconds and 1 minute before it crashes again.

Power is changed so it wasn't that (now have 500W).

Just to recap, if (it doesn't always get this far) it gets past the screen with all the IRQ's and PCI's I get the option to stat in safe mode. A lood of windows files scroll (Partition1) and then I get a crash.

If I get into the BIOS and set CDROM as 1st boot, It doesn't boot from CD ROM.

I'm beginning to give up all hope

ScousePete

muckshifter

Reaction score
Again, don't attach the HD or any other non essential devices ... we need to see what is/may be causing the system to 'crash' ... it could be an overheating CPU in conjunction with Asus's cpu protection.

If you can get into the BIOS and stay there long enough to see what the temp is doing will give you an indication of whether this is the case or not. Another factor is memory, is it new or from the 'old' system, is it compatable?

The system is not staying 'live' long enough before it even thinks about booting to CD or HD

Reaction score
Tried to do as suggested but can't stay in the BIOS to monitor anything.

Can't imagine it could be a temp problem as it doesn't have time to heat up and fans on CPU and Graphics card are working fine.

Just once it managed to start to boot from the CD and started downloading a load of drivers, but then crashes again. It's like something is tripping it but haven't a clue what.

Gonna call Novatech who I bought the CPU, mb and memory bundle from and see what they say.

I'll keep updatin' so if u can think of anything please let me know.

Reaction score
Scouse just a suggestion... is your CPU.... Firmly in place.. and correctly seated?... i do belive that some are very hard to fit in the socket properly....just give it a quick check...

Reaction score
CPU came fitted onto MB, seems to be secure.

Notice a pattern relating to temperature.

If I leave the system a while I can stay on a bit longer. In BIOS Hardware monitore temperature increases and at 23 C Motherboard / 43 C CPU the system crashes.

If I start up shortly after the start temp is obviously higher (coz it's not had a chance to cool and it therefore reaches 23 C / 43 C more quicky and so crashes almost immediately.

Doesn't seem like high temperatures, what could be controlling the tripping?

Scouse Pete

muckshifter

Reaction score
This is not a high temp ... but it does look as though you MB is 'tripping' on it, or something like it.

Is you HSF connected to the CPU fan header?
the one by the memory "CPU_FAN1" (page 2-22)

Have a read of section 3.3 "Asus Post Reporter" it may help.

In section 4.6 Hardware Monitor Menu
Disable Q-Fan control

As far as I can see there is no "CPU overheating Auto shutdown" as with a lot of other boards.

The only other conclusion is either a faulty MB or faulty CPU, although I haven't ruled out the memory. :(

Reaction score
surly if the memory is faulty it would go beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

thats the standard memory error tone, right?

Reaction score
Novatech have recommended taking the mb out of the case and powerin up with just graphics card on board to see if something in the case is causing a short (they say perhaps one of the up stands (or whatever they are called) where the fixing screws locate.

I'll give it a go but I'm not convinced.

ScousePete

Reaction score
If you are going to take it out of the case, make sure its done properly. That is, sit it on something like cardboard.

Reaction score
Well did it.

What a carry on though!!! The cables are barely long enough to stretch out of the case.

Anyway it started off encouragingly as it seemed to boot ok, but then crashed again in safe mode and then in the BIOS and back to its usual tricks.

I've wasted a whole weekdend and am pretty p****d off with the whole experience. Think I'd rather have a refund and put it into a shop to get it done. I ain't got the patience or time to mess around again.

Hey but thanks to all for their help.

Ask a Question