Laptop won't boot ?

Reaction score
Hi,

HP DV9500 + Quanta 30DA + Turion 64x2 TL60 + HDD 1 Sam HM500J1 + HDD 2 Scorpio WD1600bev + nVidia 8400GS + Mem x 2 Crucial 2gb + Win 7 ult (32)

This is my ‘stand-by machine, as I have my trusty desk-top machine. I am now disabled and need to be contactable, hence my need for a reliable stand-by. I booted it up a few days ago, intending to download a Win-10 beta/test version.

As it hasn’t been used for a time, it went through the usual Win-7 updates etc. When it had finished and booted up properly, I started the Win-10 download.

The new battery was up to 100%, and had the power lead plugged in.

After quite some time, I noticed that it was ‘Off’. I assumed it had turned its-self off during download, and expected me to restart it to complete the loading. As it was 2:30 a.m, I thought I’d leave it till the morning.

When I tried to turn it on, all I got were the blue LED’s flashing for a second or maybe two. I could hear the cooling fan, and feel the throughput of fanned air – but nothing else.

It won’t boot up,,,, or anywhere near it. I have tried holding & tapping the usual buttons (f8, f10, 511 etc) at boot up, but it never gets far enough to need anything like that.

Nothing boots up, so no chance of bios or safe-mode etc.

I realise that it’s a difficult question without seeing it, but I was wondering if anyone may know what the problem is please – and if it can be fixed ? It has two new hhd’s, 2 new memory sticks, new battery & had the common fault of overheating graphics sorted.

It’d be a terrible waste if I can’t get it started, especially in my condition.

Many hanks for reading this

Reaction score
Bare with us pal we will endevour to help as soon as someone is able. I'm on the way out of the door in 10mins (3pm) if no one has helped by the time i get home later tonight I will try and give you some pointers

Reaction score
First thing is first. If you are not comfortable doing it you may need to get someone who is to check

Check everything is locked in place.
Memory, connectors etc

Does the PC beep?
How many beeps (3 short, one long?. 2 long?)

If the card was overheating it may have been damaged regardless and give up

Connect to an external monitor to see if you get a signal

Remove the HDD and try booting to BIOS

Drop BIOS. (remove battery and power cord for a couple of minutes. Reinsert battery and then try booting)

Just realised it is a laptop (DOH!.) We are quite limited as to what we can suggest

Do those things if you can and let us know

:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
1/ Check everything is locked in place. Memory, connectors etc
2/ Does the PC beep? How many beeps (3 short, one long?. 2 long?)
3/ If the card was overheating it may have been damaged regardless and give up
4/ Connect to an external monitor to see if you get a signal
5/ Remove the HDD and try booting to BIOS
6/ Drop BIOS. (remove battery and power cord for a couple of minutes. Reinsert battery and then try booting)

1/ Done that – a few times.

I also swapped the hdd’s and mem sticks, making double sure that they were seated properly.

Like wise with the power cord and battery’s.

2/ No bleeps. It doesn’t get that far.

3/ It might have, but I don’t think that would stop the thing booting up.

4/ I tried an external monitor,,,, but again, the machine doesn’t get far enough to activate that, or anything else.

5/ Done that,,, same result

6/ Done that,,, same result.

What I did notice is that if I hold F10 down, the lights stay on. Nothing happens, but the lights stay on.

I have also noticed that the base gets slightly warm.

Is the only way to use images, is through a 3rd party app ? I’ll add a couple of images to photobucket, and get back.

Cheers for helping

Reaction score
Showing blue lights across the top - etc:

Showing where slight heat is emanating: at least it's getting power to somewhere ???:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
no beep, usually means dead motherboard ... :(

Ask a Question