Upgrade Problems - Error 1608

Jamie Arrison

I just replaced my dead laptop with a new one running
Windows 2000. My old laptop had FP2002 installed by first
installing FP 1.1 then purchasing FP2002 upgrade. The
upgrade worked flawlessly the first time, about 2 years
ago. The hard drive failed and I threw the machine away.

Now on my new machine I reinstalled FP 1.1 into the
default directory d:/program files/microsoft frontpage but
when I try to install the FP2002 upgrade I get "Error
1608: Setup was unable to locate a qualifing product". I
tried the same process on two other machines resulting in
the same error.

All software is legit, purchased by me, and attepting to
run on only one machine. Please help

Steve Easton

Since you mentioned you installed 1.1
on D:\ are you pointing 2002 to D:\ to
find the qualifying product??
It will default to C:\ unless pointed elsewhere.

--
Steve Easton
MS MVP FrontPage

Stefan B Rusynko

Presuming FP2002 upgrades are eligible from FP1.1:
- Have you tried pointing the installer to that folder (or installing the FP1.1 original media) when asked for the location of a
qualifying product?

--

| I just replaced my dead laptop with a new one running
| Windows 2000. My old laptop had FP2002 installed by first
| installing FP 1.1 then purchasing FP2002 upgrade. The
| upgrade worked flawlessly the first time, about 2 years
| ago. The hard drive failed and I threw the machine away.
|
| Now on my new machine I reinstalled FP 1.1 into the
| default directory d:/program files/microsoft frontpage but
| when I try to install the FP2002 upgrade I get "Error
| 1608: Setup was unable to locate a qualifing product". I
| tried the same process on two other machines resulting in
| the same error.
|
| All software is legit, purchased by me, and attepting to
| run on only one machine. Please help

Tom Pepper Willett

....adding to what Stefan says, or clarifying it, the FP 1.1 does not need to
be actually installed. The floppy disk can be inserted in drive a then
point to it as the qualifying product.
--
Tom Pepper Willett
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Stefan B Rusynko said:
Presuming FP2002 upgrades are eligible from FP1.1:
- Have you tried pointing the installer to that folder (or installing the
FP1.1 original media) when asked for the location of a

Jamie Arrison

Thanks for good sugestions. The FP2002 only lets you
choose the drive not the folder. I tried all drives and
the floppy and neither work.
Presuming FP2002 upgrades are eligible from FP1.1:
- Have you tried pointing the installer to that folder
(or installing the FP1.1 original media) when asked for
the location of a
qualifying product?

--

"Jamie Arrison" <[email protected]>
wrote in message [email protected]...

Jamie Arrison

Thanks Tom, but still no joy. After your suggestion, I
tried it that way on two machines. -- Jamie

wrote in message
| I just replaced my dead laptop with a new one running
| Windows 2000. My old laptop had FP2002 installed by first
| installing FP 1.1 then purchasing FP2002 upgrade. The
| upgrade worked flawlessly the first time, about 2 years
| ago. The hard drive failed and I threw the machine away.
|
| Now on my new machine I reinstalled FP 1.1 into the
| default directory d:/program files/microsoft frontpage but
| when I try to install the FP2002 upgrade I get "Error
| 1608: Setup was unable to locate a qualifing product". I
| tried the same process on two other machines resulting in
| the same error.
|
| All software is legit, purchased by me, and attepting to
| run on only one machine. Please help

.

Tom Pepper Willett

Well, I assume you're using WinXP? It's possible WinXP doesn't support or
recognize that early of a verion of FP.
--

wrote in message
| I just replaced my dead laptop with a new one running
| Windows 2000. My old laptop had FP2002 installed by first
| installing FP 1.1 then purchasing FP2002 upgrade. The
| upgrade worked flawlessly the first time, about 2 years
| ago. The hard drive failed and I threw the machine away.
|
| Now on my new machine I reinstalled FP 1.1 into the
| default directory d:/program files/microsoft frontpage but
| when I try to install the FP2002 upgrade I get "Error
| 1608: Setup was unable to locate a qualifing product". I
| tried the same process on two other machines resulting in
| the same error.
|
| All software is legit, purchased by me, and attepting to
| run on only one machine. Please help

.

John Jansen \(MSFT\)

Did you actually run FrontPage after you installed it, before doing the
upgrade? That might make a difference...

--
Thanks!
John Jansen

wrote in message
| I just replaced my dead laptop with a new one running
| Windows 2000. My old laptop had FP2002 installed by first
| installing FP 1.1 then purchasing FP2002 upgrade. The
| upgrade worked flawlessly the first time, about 2 years
| ago. The hard drive failed and I threw the machine away.
|
| Now on my new machine I reinstalled FP 1.1 into the
| default directory d:/program files/microsoft frontpage but
| when I try to install the FP2002 upgrade I get "Error
| 1608: Setup was unable to locate a qualifing product". I
| tried the same process on two other machines resulting in
| the same error.
|
| All software is legit, purchased by me, and attepting to
| run on only one machine. Please help

.

Colleen Akerman \(CTI\)

Hello:

Experienced similar problem with new Win XP laptop computer with no floppy
drive. Shared a floppy on the network and still would not accept as
qualifying product.

Eventually, we copied the contents of every floppy disk into a directory on
the laptop, and pointed the install to that directory when browsing for a
qualifying product.

Hope this helps.