Updating BOINC

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I've had a message from BOINC asking me to update to the latest version. Is it possible to do this in the middle of crunching tasks? Or do I have to suspend them before I do it?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
If your version is running fine, then you don't need to do it at all - just ignore the message.

However if you do wish to do so, then just right click on the tray icon and exit the program, then download the latest recommended version for your OS from the Boinc Site and just install....it will automatically pick up your settings and current WU's etc.
nod.gif

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for that, Ady. :thumb: It worked just as you said.

The reason that I've updated is that my missus accidently disconnected the phone line and lost the internet connection and this led to me losing a couple of WUs. The messages tab suggested that if I downloaded the lastest version of BOINC that the lost WUs would somehow be restored. :confused:
Incidentally, why do we lose WUs when the internet gets cut off? I thought the activity was simply on my own PC and was quite independent of internet connectivity.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Never seen that message, and it is impossible to restore WU's once they have gone.

Also losing your internet connection should have no effect on Boinc whatsoever - it will just be unable to upload/download work and give a message saying so.

Ask a Question