BOINC issues

Reaction score
I'm going to have to uninstall BOINC from my strongest cruncher, which happens to be my work pc. The software is absolutely killing my performance, even when it's not visibly running. For a while, BOINC and I had an understanding; I would close it when I get in in the morning and start it up before I leave, no problems. Now, even after I close it, the processes will pop back up in task manager and my computer acts like it has 128MB of RAM (it has 16GB). Does anyone have any insight as to what might be going on? Or is anyone else having any similar kind of issue?

Reaction score
Also, to preface all of this (some of you may remember me posting this a while back) but i started having some issues with this months ago where my computer would all but lock up after coming back from idle while it was crunching. That's what started the process of exiting BOINC every morning. Annnnnd I re-installed windows from disc after that and the problem continued immediately, just to give a little more background info.

Reaction score
I wonder if that is what is causing problems with all my PCs aswell?

At times they freeze, don't respond to any type of command and general lazyness

When this happens to a 6core pc with 16gig and decent spec gfx card it worries me a little
I wonder whats going on

Hmmmm

Reaction score
When you have these issues, try exiting BOINC and see if it immediately speeds up. That's how it was working for me, until today, when exiting it wasn't enough.

Reaction score
Since the problem started, I've re-installed Windows (for other purposes) and gone from 3GB of RAM to 16GB. And yet, it persisted.

Reaction score
Are you running CEP2? That project will bring a machine to a crawl with it's disk use.

Reaction score
That is very well possible. I'll have to install it on here again, and pull that project off. I'll post back with any results! Thanks for the tip.

Reaction score
Open BOINC Manager > Tools > Computing preferences...
Select disk and memory usage tab
Insure the Leave applications in memory while suspended is check marked.
When closing BOINC, is the Stop running tasks when exiting the BOINC Manager check marked?

This should stop all the running tasks until you restart the BOINC Manager.
Recommend you have BOINC Manager in your Startup folder. In case you forget to restart it, the next time you reboot, BOINC Manager will automatically restart.

Ask a Question