BOINC error

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Following recent computer problems, it was necessary to reinstall BOINC. This I did (from the WCG website) and all, at first, appeared well. However, it is a heck of a long time since I last had to do this, hence, I am a bit puzzled about an error message I keep getting.

It happens on shut-down. My PC begins its closing routine, when up pops a message: "BOINC File System Error" which sometimes contains a number, but it's a tad too quick for me to note it down.

The BOINC version is 7.2.47 (x86) wxWidgets Version 2.8. 10 Crunching only takes place on the CPU, (I don't have it set to use the graphics card.)

I have tried suspending any activity before closing-down, but that doesn't help.

Probably unrelated to the error, but I have also noticed an increase in temperature since installing this new version of BOINC. CPU temp is reaching 67 deg according to Speccy. (I'm aware that Ivy Bridge does apparently run a little warmer than Sandy Bridge... however temps when I don't run BOINC, are usually lower.) The extra warmth, by the way, is despite running the PC (temporarily) with an open side. (I intend to tidy-up the cables a little more... but haven't yet found my wire-ties!)

Just wondered whether any of you might be able to point me in the right direction - at least to solve the error message - please? (I have of course Googled and tried to find an answer, but possibly not looking in the right place, lol.)

Thanks for looking. :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Just re downloaded Bionic and had no problems TC.
That's good :thumb: As I mentioned, it downloaded, installed and functioned well... apart from the error message it keeps throwing-up when I close-down. I like to get to the bottom of these things and discover what causes them. Can't find anything on the WCG forums, so still searching.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Solved!

Just to keep things up-to-date... I uninstalled BOINC, then re-downloaded it (this time from the Berkeley website.) Version 7.6.9 (x64) This version also gave me the option to install as a "service" which I opted for.

I allowed it to download "Virtual Box" at the same time, which, as I understand it, is sometimes used by certain projects.

It appears to have done the trick, because there were no error messages on close-down last night, and all appears to be functioning well. :thumb:

Ask a Question